turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1080p54

What’s the point of continuing when TurboTax is ceasing their (compensated) agreement with the IRS and will proceed to continue to gouge people, at lower income brackets?

Are we to accept a return to the status quo of egregious and predatory abusive billing practices TurboTax inflicted upon lower income filers (ie: e-filings of Fed and State) since their announcement of leaving the agreed upon and compensated IRS program? This greed simply astounds and repulses me; I won’t return if this is indeed the case and seek services elsewhere.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

What’s the point of continuing when TurboTax is ceasing their (compensated) agreement with the IRS and will proceed to continue to gouge people, at lower income brackets?

@1080p54  wrote:
Are we to accept a return to the status quo of egregious and predatory abusive billing practices TurboTax inflicted upon lower income filers (ie: e-filings of Fed and State) since their announcement of leaving the agreed upon and compensated IRS program? This greed simply astounds and repulses me; I won’t return if this is indeed the case and seek services elsewhere.

Did you use regular Free Edition at the Online TurboTax website to prepare your 2020 return this year? (that's the product shown underneath your question above.)  If so, that is not the same as the IRS Free File Program that TurboTax is leaving.  The TurboTax IRS Free File Program has its own special website.   The IRS Free File Program can handle all the usual forms and schedules unlike regular Free Edition, which is limited.

I assume TurboTax will still have a free product next year, such as regular Free Edition, although that product is very limited.   For instance, currently regular Free Edition cannot prepare Schedules 1-3 and requires an upgrade to Deluxe if one has one of those schedules.  No one knows what the 2021 products will be like next year since TurboTax doesn't tend to make announcements on a new tax year's program features in advance.  

Intuit says:  "Moving forward, Intuit is committed to continuing to offer free tax preparation while accelerating innovation to address all of consumers’ financial problems."

See the full TurboTax blog article here:

https://www.intuit.com/blog/news-social/accelerating-technology-innovation-to-better-help-consumers-...

TurboTax will still participate in IRS Free File Program through October.  Several other tax software companies also currently participate in the IRS Free File Program and have their own criteria.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/browse-all-offers

where did you read that the IRS compensates companies that offer the IRS free file?

1080p54

TurboTax developer Intuit announced that it's leaving the IRS Free File program, which allows many Americans to receive assistance with filing their federal taxes at no cost. ... But that list will no longer include TurboTax after the current tax season ends in October. (The IRS extended the 2020 tax season to Oct.Jul 19, 2021).

Intuit and TurboTax Fanboys can spin the situation any which way they want… Simply Google the facts.

I won’t be a part of the spin…

So what?  If you qualify for free filing under the IRS threshold, use another company.   If there are 5 grocery stores that give away free cookies, and one of them stops, would you protest at the one store or just go to one of the other 4 stores?  I guess some people just like to be angry.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies