Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is ALL required to e-file your taxes

I have never e-filed.  This year it is free for me to e-file.  So I am considering e-filing.  However, I can't find anything that lists all the requirements to e-file.  For example, do I need a TurboTax account, email address, phone number.  Is a VOIP number OK.  How is my ID verified?  What about W2s and 1099s?  I hate processes with all the unknowns until asked.  Just like not knowing shipping charges until you enter your credit card.  What  is required (complete list)  to e-file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Go to this TurboTax website and click on See how it workshttps://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/file-your-own-taxes/

That promotional link does not answer any of my questions.  What are the specific requirements to e-file?

If you are going to use the TurboTax Free online edition, you do have to create an account on TurboTax.  This requires your email address, a self-selected User ID, phone number (Recommended but not required) and a self-selected Password.

You will need all tax forms you received for tax year 2022 from employer's and financial institutions, W-2 and Form 1099.

TurboTax online editions - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

If you have a simple tax return, you can file for free with TurboTax Free Edition or TurboTax Live Assisted Basic. You can also file with TurboTax Live Full Service Basic at the listed price.

TurboTax Online: Important Details about Free Filing for Simple Tax Returns
A simple tax return is one that's filed using IRS Form 1040 only, without having to attach any forms or schedules. Only certain taxpayers are eligible.

Situations covered (assuming no added tax complexity):

• W-2 income
  • Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
  • IRS standard deduction
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
  • Child Tax Credit (CTC)
  • Student loan interest deduction

Situations not covered:

• Itemized deductions
  • Unemployment income reported on a 1099-G
  • Business or 1099-NEC income
  • Stock sales
  • Rental property income
  • Credits, deductions and income reported on other forms or schedules (for example, income related to crypto investments)

Thanks.  You forgot to mention your drivers license number.  That's when I backed out and submitted this post.   I am using the Deluxe version.  How are the W2s and 1099s uploaded?   Does the program send what I entered or do I have to scan them in?

@turtletax1999 wrote:

Thanks.  I am using the Deluxe version.  How are the W2s and 1099s uploaded?   Does the program send what I entered or do I have to scan them in?

If you are referring to the Deluxe online edition that is not Free.  The TurboTax account fee for the Deluxe online edition is $59.  If you add a state tax return that is an additional charge of $59.

You may be able to import both a W-2 and a Form 1099.  Those forms can also be entered manually in the TurboTax program.  When e-filing the tax return the tax data from the forms is sent with the electronically filed tax return so there is no need to mail any paper copies of the forms to the IRS or a State.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for importing a W-2 - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/import-enter-w-...

See this TurboTax support FAQ for importing a Form 1099 - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/import-1099s/L2...

Your providing a lot of info not related to the OP.  None of those links provide specifics what is required to e-file.  I don't understand why not informing users requirements to e-file prior to e-filing.  It should be a simple list.  Since this information is so difficult to obtain, I think I will mail my forms in as I have in the past.  Thanks again for trying to help.

@turtletax1999 Sounds like you got thrown for a loop when it asked you for a drivers license.    You are not required by the IRS to enter drivers license information in order to e-file.  It adds some security but you can skip that step if you choose to.  There are a couple of states that are picky about having drivers license or state ID information in order to let you e-file the state; if you run into that you can file the state by mail.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I am referring to federal return only, using Deluxe version.  I could not get past entering my DL info.  There should be a list up front that provides all the information required to e-file.  And it makes me even more apprehensive with all the replies received in this thread intentionally avoiding the specifics of the original question

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies