Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What if my parents claimed me as a dependent in 2019 but I no longer live with them in 2020 can I still claim the stimulus check?

@Stefanilandaeta  I have been literally researching everywhere and the answer is still 50/50 so it’s frustrating. I’m glad my mom got a stimulus check, but I haven’t ... yet. 

Even when I check on the IRS get my payment it says “status not available.” I do have one friend who filed this year in early February and her parents filed her as dependent last year and didn’t file this year and she got it on wed. I don’t know if doing my taxes late affected it and so they turned to 2018 taxes. I just honestly don’t know how it works!

I’ll keep you updated and lmk if you find out something! 

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What if my parents claimed me as a dependent in 2019 but I no longer live with them in 2020 can I still claim the stimulus check?

@Andreaan Yes my mom got hers too on Wednesday!! I know I have been driving myself crazy researching and literally no answers at all. Mine says the same on the site when I enter the information for get my payment. That makes me feel a little better about your friend though because I filed April 7th so I’m thinking that might’ve been a little late. My fiancé and I filed the same day and he hasn’t received his either and he’s been independent for years so hopefully we’ll all be in the next round. Fingers crossed and yes I will for sure!! 

LJVP
Level 2

Andreaan I understand waiting is hard millions of checks went out last week and that means we are one of the millions waiting for ours.

@Stefanilandaeta 

Hey! So good news on my end. I finally got through the payment status and I am scheduled to receive my refund on April 20! So check the get my payment again and see what it says. I will update you and it actually gets deposited that day

@Andreaan  Thats amazing!!! Thanks for the update I really appreciate it. I just logged on a little bit a lot and it still says payment status unavailable so hopefully they update mine soon! 

@Stefanilandaeta 

Of course. I am more hopeful for people in our situation! I hope this took a bit of anxiety, but I know it  won't go away until you actually see it! I definitely learned my lesson to do my taxes asap lol I hope yours comes in shortly as well ❤️ 

@Andreaan same lol and if this ever happens again we won’t be dependents! Thanks again for the update I will also update you if I get mine. Stay safe and healthy!💙

@Stefanilandaeta  Just got it deposited! I’m up so late because I’m a night shift nurse, but wanted to let you know before I forgot! Hope yours gets processed soon❤️

@Andreaan thanks girl! And wow thank you for your hard work and service during this time that’s amazing!!!! Still haven’t gotten mine or an update on the site, but not losing hope lol♥️

My mother claimed me as an older dependent in on her 2018 taxes.  She has not filed 2019 yet and I completed the non-filers form as I am a student with not enough income to file normally.  On my form, which was accepted on 4/12/20, I put that I want not able to be claimed as a dependent this year.  She received 1200 already.  Am I eligible for the Stimulus payment in this scenario.  Thank you.  

I am in the same boat as @Stefanilandaeta and @Andreaan I was dependant in 2018 but not 2019. I filed them for 2019 a couple weeks ago and got my return already but no stimulus check. I have a friend in the same boat but he filed them a lot earlier so my guess is that we filed too late and they used our 2018 returns where we were intelligible. Let me know if anything changes for you guys!

Dougie25

Did you get a check?

LanasiaDM19
Returning Member

I filed my 2018 Taxes and received my refund , My mom claimed me as a dependent on her 2019 Taxes will I still receive a stimulus check ?

LanasiaDM19
Returning Member

Even if you filed on your own and received a refund in 2018 ?

LJVP
Level 2

Still waiting for the second round 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies