Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What if my parents claimed me as a dependent in 2019 but I no longer live with them in 2020 can I still claim the stimulus check?

If a parent COULD claim her as a dependent, then she should have been marking that she could be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.  If a parent COULD claim her, she's not eligible for the check.

It's impossible to tell from this who has been filing incorrect returns.  Both can file returns, on paper in the mail, claiming the child, and let the IRS sort it out.  Then the stimulus payment can be sorted out in 2010 on their tax returns.  For purposes of the stimulus, it's too late now for 2019.

lmerc

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What if my parents claimed me as a dependent in 2019 but I no longer live with them in 2020 can I still claim the stimulus check?

Nobody has claimed me for 2019 taxes, and they will not be doing so. 

Hey! I have the same question as well I am 25 years old and filed my taxes this year as independent but last year my mom claimed me as dependent but she has. It filled this year. Will the base me getting a stimulus check off me filling as an independent for this year?

if my parents claimed me on their taxes but i also filed my own taxes this year and last year will i get the stimulus? 

IRS uses 2019 return if filed, if not, 2018.  Same for everyone.

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

If you live with your parents for more than half the year for 2019 and they provided more than half your support during the time you lived with them and you were also above eighteen and a student, then your parents can claim you as a dependent. The taxes you are now filing in 2020 is really for what happened in 2019. So, if they've already claimed you as a dependent, then your return will likely get rejected.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I was not a student during 2019, filed as independent, and I covered my own expenses. But my mom has not yet filed for 2019 and in 2018 she claimed me as dependent. So for 2019 I am independent. Would I receive the check? Or will they go off of my mom 2018 taxes which have me as dependent?

Hey, did you ever figure out the answer to this? I'm in the exact same boat and haven't been able to figure out for sure yet

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

@Stefanilandaeta: Well, if you have filed for 2019 and your Mother didn't file you as a dependent in 2019, then you should have your stimulus check.

Harrton

we are in the exact same situation. Son just filed his 2019 taxes on April 4th, on his own and not our dependent for the first time. He already received his tax refund money.  However he did not receive any stimulus money.  The website says his status is not available.  What should we do if he does not receive his stimulus money?

How can we make sure government uses his 2019 return and not 2018 when he was our dependent?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

There is nothing more you can do but wait. 

The "easy" payments are being made first, situations such as your son's I'm sure will be addressed sooner rather than later, but may take time. 

Keep checking the "Get My Payment" app for changes. 

There is no way to contact the IRS by phone. 

If the payment is not received by the end of the year, he will claim it on his 2020 tax return. 

CA1997
Returning Member

So if was claimed as a dependent in 2019, but when I file my tax return for 2020 and I am not claimed as a dependent, I will still receive the 1200 as a tax credit on my 2020 return?

Hello, my gf is 22. Her family claimed her as a dependent 2018.but 2019 they did not file yet. We are living together and she already filed 2019 and got her refund. We really need this money to pay rent and we are so concerned since she did not get a direct deposit yet. Can you please give specific information. What can we do

Hey! I’ve been told that if we have filed for as independent for this year and last year we were previously dependent they would go off of our 2019 taxes. So fingers crossed we are eligible!

PRAYING !!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies