Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State of residency is Alaska on paper but due to husband's orders we have been in Korea since Feb 16. Do I mark yes or no when asking have we lived else than Alaska in 2016

If my home of residency is Alaska but we been living in Korea since Feb. 2016 due to my husband military and our family on his orders. We mark yes for us living in the US the whole year but I'm unsure of what to put when asked have we lived elsewhere beside Alaska for the year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

State of residency is Alaska on paper but due to husband's orders we have been in Korea since Feb 16. Do I mark yes or no when asking have we lived else than Alaska in 2016

IF both spouse's are claiming the same state of residence (AK in your case) the military family never indicates living in, or moving to another state when the military member PCS's and the civilian spouse goes along to the same base/region.  For tax purposes , you are always in AK.

When the military person goes to a Combat zone, he/she still doesn't "move" or live in another state, nor does the civilian spouse as long as the civilian spouse remains at the base that the Military person shipped out form ...to the Combat zone.

IF the military person PCS's to a state, and the civilian spouse does not accompany the Military person...then it may get more complicated, but as long as you remain together...you are both AK.

(when entering the Military person's info, there might be a second question about what state they are posted to, and that is OK to indicate another state...not sure what overseas posting selections they have)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ehfmind

bonafied residence for federal taxes.... does your passport have a residence visa , and dates of issue and expiration? state taxes likely still apply.

What does bonafied residents mean? I'm not talking about states taxes. I'm talking about on the personal information. Do I mark yes or no if asked have I lived else where besides Alaska in 2016?

IF both spouse's are claiming the same state of residence (AK in your case) the military family never indicates living in, or moving to another state when the military member PCS's and the civilian spouse goes along to the same base/region.  For tax purposes , you are always in AK.

When the military person goes to a Combat zone, he/she still doesn't "move" or live in another state, nor does the civilian spouse as long as the civilian spouse remains at the base that the Military person shipped out form ...to the Combat zone.

IF the military person PCS's to a state, and the civilian spouse does not accompany the Military person...then it may get more complicated, but as long as you remain together...you are both AK.

(when entering the Military person's info, there might be a second question about what state they are posted to, and that is OK to indicate another state...not sure what overseas posting selections they have)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies