turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I do if the IRS can't verify my identity even after they text me a code from the very web sight?

I first filled in February, 2021. At that point I owed, a lot. After the unemployment change, I filled an amended return with a refund due back April, 25 2021. I just tried to get online with the IRS to get a status report. They text me a code to verify identity, ok. I input my info straight off my return, "Information does not match our files". Now what?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

What do I do if the IRS can't verify my identity even after they text me a code from the very web sight?

If access to your account is not working using the online option then choose to get the code by mail.

Ok ...  First if you know you will NOT owe when the unemployment situation is handled then you can ignore the bills you are being sent while your return is still in the system somewhere. When the dust clears the balance due plus any penalties/interest will be reversed.   Or you can try calling the number on the notice and let them know what is happening.

NEXT ... the IRS was automatically changing the unemployment situation for everyone BUT your return didn't get the the correction department UNTIL your original return was processed which was when the first IRS bill arrived.  Now that the original return was finally processed ( returns with refunds had priority over returns with balance dues) it will go to the correction department and they are overwhelmed and running way way behind.  Returns are taking 4 to 6 months to make it thru that process and there is no way to track it so all you can do is wait for them to get to your return in the backlog.   

You should NOT have amended the return so it is currently unknown if putting an amended return into the system will delay things further. Amended returns can only be processed after the original return & the corrected situation have been completed  AND  amended returns are also taking 4 - 6 months (or longer) to process as well.   Again all you really can do is wait.  

Not quite sure what you did --- but it is taking the IRS at least six months and often longer than that to process an amended return.  So expecting a refund from an amended 2020 return by late April is unrealistic.  If you filed your tax return before the tax law changed for unemployment, the IRS is issuing refunds for the tax paid on the first $10,200 of your unemployment without requiring you to amend.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

So far the IRS has issued over 8 million of those “extra” refunds for tax on unemployment.   The IRS has not announced when the next batch will be sent out, but they are still working on them.

The IRS is recalculating refunds for people whose AGI is $150K or below and who filed before the tax law that changed the amount of unemployment that is taxable on a federal return became effective.   

The IRS began to send out the additional refund checks for tax withheld from unemployment in May.  The refunds are being sent out in batches—starting with the simplest returns first.   If you are eligible for the extra refund for federal tax that was withheld from your unemployment the IRS will be sending you an additional refund sometime during the next several months.  TurboTax cannot track or predict when it will be sent.  The IRS has not provided a way for you to track it, so all you can do is wait for the refund to arrive.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-get-the-new-unemployment-benefits-if-i-ve...

Please read this news from the IRS:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-continues-unemployment-compensation-adjustments-prepares-another-1-...

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/taxes/more-unemployment-tax-refunds-are-arriving-but-when-here...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@jdsimp002384 

generally the IRS is comparing info from the return as originally filed.

If you amended you don't have the original info unless you made a paper copy for your records first.

That's probably why it failed.

If it is asking for AGI, use the original amount ( +$10,200).

The problem I am having is that I have had NO CONTACT from anyone about anything. I was just wanting to know if they received anything from me. I did send my return Certified Mail and didn't even get a notice of receipt.

If you call IRS at 7:00 AM EST you have a chance to get on the hold queue before the phone lines are full.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies