Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jvorrkids

We have lived in Honduras C.A. since 08/08/1993 as Christian Missionaries, but never earned enough to file income taxes until our Stateside sabbatical in 2019, now what?

We did file for 2018 and got a return since we had arrived before Thankgiving 2018, but we traveled around during our 13 months Stateside, so we are not what to put down as our address, not to mention several other things.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

We have lived in Honduras C.A. since 08/08/1993 as Christian Missionaries, but never earned enough to file income taxes until our Stateside sabbatical in 2019, now what?

Do you have an address now? You would use your address at the time of filing. What type of income do you have to report? Do you have a W-2 with an address? You can use an address of a friend or relative where you would be reached. Or, you may consider using a mailing center.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jvorrkids

Yes, we do have a physical address in Honduras where we live and also a mailing address, but the national postal service has been close since March, when the Pademia started.  We do though also have a Stateside mailing address that we also use of a friend of ours in Oregon.

As for the types of incomes we had to file, we are Christian Missionaries with a children's home/ranch in Honduras C.A. (501c3 out of OR).  We've lived and worked for 26yrs as missionaries in Honduras, but have never earned a salary, but in Nov2018 through Dec2019, we took a sabbatical and I received a stipend salary during that sabbatical year.  I also did a few temp jobs during the year as a private labor contractor.  Both incomes I believe were self employment incomes (1099's).  I also cashed in a very small life insurance policy while visiting my home town in WY.  These are the three incomes we filed.  Since we live in Honduras and our work is rendered in Honduras, we feel we are exempt from having to file OR State tax, but TurboTax wants to file an OR State tax for us, which we've never had to do before.

Since we've never had a large enough income to need to file a federal return, we've only filed when present in the USA, which was back in 1999\2000 for 8 months, and the last two months of 2018, and now for almost all of 2019.

Other than using our friend from Oregon's address as our "perm address", we've never lived or worked in OR, but have only visited for only a couple months at a time.  So, do we have to file an income tax with OR?

jvorrkids

I've now completed filing my taxes with TurboTax, but for some reason it won't accept me to efile, but gives no explanation to why and we have no possible way to file by mail.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

Are you getting any sort of rejection code you can share here? 

Please see the attached for additional information. 

How to fix a rejected return 

If not, please see the following link for other reasons returns cannot be e-filed.

Tax returns that cannot be e-filed

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies