Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W7 In Person vs. Post

Hi Turbo Tax

I am filing my 2019 tax return, I have a SSN but my wife and 2x children require ITINs through the W7 form. I am using Turbo Tax to complete the return then printing and  have a question or two:

1) Should I leave SSN / ITIN Blank?

2) Can I arrange to file in person? Reason is we'd prefer not to post our family's passports. If so, what is the process - do I just book an appointment at local tax office and bring in printed documentation - will they just verify passport details and then file all forms?

Thanks Greg

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

W7 In Person vs. Post

Yes, there are ways to apply for ITINs without posting your original documents to the IRS.  You can do this one of two ways.

You can visit a Taxpayer Assistance Center if there is one located near you. You can find a list of those by clicking on this link: Taxpayer Assistance Centers

Appointments are required and some assistance centers may be able to collect your tax return for you. 

If there is not a center convenient to you, you can use the services of a Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA).  

CAAs can verify your documents and provide you with a certification that you then attach to your W-7 application to mail in-lieu of sending your original documents.  CAAs may charge a fee for their services.   

The IRS maintains a list of Certified Acceptance Agents HERE.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

W7 In Person vs. Post

Yes, there are ways to apply for ITINs without posting your original documents to the IRS.  You can do this one of two ways.

You can visit a Taxpayer Assistance Center if there is one located near you. You can find a list of those by clicking on this link: Taxpayer Assistance Centers

Appointments are required and some assistance centers may be able to collect your tax return for you. 

If there is not a center convenient to you, you can use the services of a Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA).  

CAAs can verify your documents and provide you with a certification that you then attach to your W-7 application to mail in-lieu of sending your original documents.  CAAs may charge a fee for their services.   

The IRS maintains a list of Certified Acceptance Agents HERE.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies