turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Erik M

W2 has two nonresidential states when there should be one

Hi there,

I worked in one nonresidential state (MS) but my employer filed in another nonresidential state (LA) which I did not work in and fixed it halfway through the work contract, so there are two states on my W2, with split state wages and state income taxes, when there should be one.

I saw someone post a similar question last April with half of the problem I'm facing solved, about how to file for the nonresidential state (LA) I did not work in. See here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/i-have-w2-[product key removed]-tax-even...

Regarding the nonresidential state (MS) I did work in, as I asked on the above thread: How should I file for the second state (MS)? Also, would I have to do anything in addition or different to the above instructions on refiling with the first state (LA)? 

Looking through the individual tax forms from MS (https://www.dor.ms.gov/individual/individual-income-tax-forms), I'm wondering if I'll need to file a corrected form 80-205 (Non-Resident and Part-Year Resident Return) and possibly/unfortunately the 80-320 (Interest and Penalty Worksheet)?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You did not mention which state you do live in but you will file a resident state return and 2 non resident state returns allocating what income is to be taxed in each of those non resident states. You MUST prepare the non resident states FIRST and then the resident state so the credits carry correctly.  

Erik M

I live in Texas, which is no state income tax. I will also need to file a 1040x, correct?

Thank you

Yes ... everyone must always  file the federal 1040 form PLUS any state returns needed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies