turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W2 employee that owns a small business.

Hello,

I have a question as to how to use Turbo tax if I and my husband are employed and receive W2's and I own a small business that own with my mom, that we normally get a K1's from, but did not this year as our business did not have any sales due to CO-vid.  How do I file and can I use the online services.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

You didn't get a K-1? Did you have expenses? Who does your business return?

I have had a tax firm do my business taxes before, but I am wanting to see if I can use turbo tax to file both my business and my personal and if there will be a k-1 from turbo tax to issue to my partner.  We have never used this service in the past for either business or personal.

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Per the information above, it appears you and your mother are partners and prepare Form 1065 U.S. Return of Partnership Income. 

You'll start by preparing Form 1065, U.S. Return of Partnership Income, using TurboTax Business. Generally, a domestic partnership must file Form 1065 by the 15th day of the 3rd month following the date its tax year ended as shown at the top of Form 1065. 

TurboTax Business is a Windows-only software program available as a CD or download.

When you complete your Form 1065, TurboTax will generate Schedule K-1's. Click How do I issue a K-1? The K-1 information gets entered on your personal income tax return, Form 1040. 

The personal TurboTax products that support K-1's are:

Tip: If you're in business for yourself and haven't incorporated or created an LLC, use TurboTax Self-Employed instead.

Related information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies