Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member


How do I change my W-4 mid year?  My wife and I both work and too much tax is being withheld.

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert


Hello bf209i!


The two ways available to decrease your withholdings on the W-4 is to fill out another one and put in the following:  

  • if you are eligible for income tax credits such as the child tax credit or credit for other dependents (Step 3), then remove the dependents from the form and/or
  • if you are eligible for deductions other than the basic standard deduction, such as itemized deductions, the deduction for IRA contributions, or the deduction for student loan interest (Step 4(b)), then put that amount in Step 4(b).

These will result in a reduction in the withholdings from your paychecks.



I hope this helps.

Thank you for using TurboTax Live!


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies