Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

w-4 calculator question

I'm currently working through the w-4 calculator, and it asks for "total state withholding expected for 2023". How do I find that information from what's on my paystub? Is it just asking YTD for state withholding, or is it asking how much will be withheld for the entire year - I don't know how to calculate that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
conniem123
Employee Tax Expert

w-4 calculator question

Hi Nortonbp,

I hope you are having a great day!  The total state withholding expected for 2023 would be the total to be withheld for 2023.  If your 2023 wages are similar to 2022, you could refer to your 2022 Form W-2 box 17.  If your 2023 wages are not close to your 2022 wages you could use a current paystub and then using the current period state withholdings calculate how much more to be withheld based on the remaining number of pay periods.  You would then add the year to date state withholdings to the estimated state withholdings for the remainder of 2023 to have the total state withholdings expected for 2023.

I hope this information if helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mbpeddie
Employee Tax Expert

w-4 calculator question

The total state withholding expected for 2023 is the total amount wittheld  for the entire year.

You can estimate this by looking at a paystub and seeing how much is withheld for state taxes from that pay.

Then multiply it by the number of paychecks you would recieve in 2023.

For example, if you are paid bimonthly , that would be 24 paychecks, if biweeky that would be 26 paychecks.

Mulitply the number of paychecks by the amount of state withholding on one check and you will get the total for the amount withtheld for the entire year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies