Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Updates for turbotax 2020 will not install. Any suggestions?

I did this and it worked. Installed the manual update and turned off automatic updates once it opened. Almost 100% sure it is due to the latest Windows 10 update. Hopefully this fix this soon.

I also need help with this. Nothing works. cant complete tax without installing updates. Have used TT cd for many years and have never had so many problems as this year. Someone please help

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@laurel ruimerman

Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business)

Manual Update

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I needed to complete uninstall my software, restart my computer, and reinstall from the CD.  Ran one update after the install and since then been working fine. It was recommended that installing into another directory may help but I didn't need to.

I am having the same issue right now. I am unable to install the update and sign in to do a second tax return. I have never had this problem for the past 10 years with TurboTax. Any suggestion out there. I really appreciate it!

Terri N.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@thienmy55 please follow the instructions here to do a manual update. 

If you still experience the same issue, please click here to contact customer support. 

I'm having this same issue.  I manually installed the patch (as described in earlier posts):

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-soft[product ke...

As soon as I run TT, it wants to do another update.  I agree to the update and it fails:

"Failed to install update. Microsoft Installer error: 1603, Fatal error during installation"

(Released 3/4/2021) Program Updates

Wow this year the application is so buggy.

I eventually solved it by fully uninstalling and then reinstalling from scratch. Then manually patching with the version from the Intuit website.

Beel

RE recommendation to uninstall and re-install:  I've already completed my taxes but can't file because I can't get past the "update."  If I uninstall at this point, what happens to all my work to date?  Do I lose it?  Or will it my data be automatically reentered from my saved file when I reinstall TT?

If you uninstall and reinstall. your data is preserved and your tax return will appear when you open TT.  Be sure to do the uninstall from either the TT disc or the TT download page, whichever you used to originally install TT.  Do not just remove the TT file on your own outside of TT.  When you tell either the disc or download file to install TT, it will tell you there is already a version and do you want to uninstall it.  Click uninstall.

lavtax

I've used TT for years but did not file last year. This year the first step in installing TT was to get updates, saying it would take 6  minutes.  I waited over 30 minutes and still nothing.  I did this repeatedly and still no updates so I couldn't proceed with TT. I called TT and was told to do CTRl, ALT, DEL and choose task manager and thru that to close updated.  So I could then install and fill in all info.  Now when I'm ready to e-file I get the message that before I can e-file I must check for updates, and same thing, the updater will not work.  HELP

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

@lavtax What version of TurboTax are you using? Also, are you receiving the update message on your state or federal e-file?

Please click the corresponding link to the version of TurboTax you are using a follow the troubleshooting steps:

"There is an update available for your version of TurboTax" loop when e-filing (Windows)

Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business)

State install/e-file update loop: State not installed after installation or TurboTax needs to update...

thanks,I finally got it to update by disabling Viper, Didnt want to but it worked

MarkDouglas13
Returning Member

I had to uninstall, reboot and then reinstall and update from scratch.  it now updated and works.  hope it helps. 

Contacting TT is a joke.   They do everything possible to prevent that in spite of their smiling commercials about support.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies