Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Update and state download not working. Update progress window just stays frozen. Is there another way to get state (using deluxe/with state product online)

Just a follow up.  If you are using Chrome, you need to go clear all of your browsing/cookies/caches and then restart your computer and then start turbotax again.  I was able to download and install my free CA state this way.

JVS1
Level 2

Update and state download not working. Update progress window just stays frozen. Is there another way to get state (using deluxe/with state product online)

The link I received was a link to my Intuit account (download section) where I found a download button for the Windows 10 version of my state. I guess this would not work for anyone. Suggest to call them, let them know your OS version and the state you need to download.

I spent a little over two hours on the phone with a rep and never got it fixed.  They even remoted into the laptop I was having the issue on.  We uninstalled/reinstalled/rebooted and even got the direct state download from the intuit site... none of it worked.  Things were going no where as we were running in circles.

I gave up and tried to install it on my laptop and it worked... so my wife will have to use that since something about her laptops environment is not allowing the State portion of Turbotax 2019 is problematic for some reason.  

She does have Turbotax 2018 installed on her laptop... I should uninstall it and see how that impacts the State working.  

I had the same problem on my Windows 10 computer. Every time I clicked START for my KY state return it popped up a dialog box to download it but I could never get into it - a vicious loop...

I spent quite a while talking to support. They told me to get another state and gave me a download that would not cost me extra. Tried that twice. Then tried uninstall and reinstall - no joy.  They said others were having the same issue and she would escalate the problem to the next level of support and I would get a call. That was Jan 31 - haven't heard back yet.

I uninstalled it and found many,  many registry entries that were not removed and several folders/files also left over. That is a lousy way to uninstall a program - it should remove all that junk!

Over the weekend I remembered that I had installed it on my old Windows 7 computer.

The update downloaded the KY State return and I was able to complete it with no problem!!

I E-filed the Federal return and saved everything in PDF format.

I'm not very pleased with TurboTax this year - I have used it with no problems since at least 2002.

I had the same issue yesterday running into the loop. I spent 2 hours on the phone with a rep that had absolutely no technical skills whatsoever. She kept telling me to do things she already watched me do numerous times and at the end told me that I had to file federal taxes before I could do the state. I laughed and said I have been doing TurboTax for 15 years to fall for that. 

I tried on my laptop today and it worked. So as one of the suggestions before took the old 2018 Forms files from the C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\Deluxe 2019\Forms\XXi_18 (XX being your State abbreviation), I copied the C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\Deluxe 2019\Forms\XXi_19 directory from the working machine and placed it in the C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\Deluxe 2019\Forms of the non-working machine. Relaunched TurboTax 2019 and hoooorah...the state finally registered! Not a real solution, but its a workaround if you have another computer to install TurboTax on. 

I'll try that when I get home... copying the directory from my working machine to the nonworking machine.   If I knew more about the software technically, if that's the fix... then I'd better understand what the issue is for us getting the loop.   

Otherwise I had the same experience as you... nice support person just not very technically knowledgeable about the product outside of just having me uninstall/reinstall/reboot for two hours.  

Like another user I went hunting in the file system and registry trying to figure it out and it was a hot mess.  We've used TT for years and this years release was a pain... Intuit if you're reading this... the downloading state loop issue isn't winning you any customer points.  

I reinstalled TurboTax 2019 on the computer where I was stuck in the state download loop and then copied the state folder (kyi_19) from the computer where TT was working and voila - IT WORKED!

I can access the state, view forms, etc.

Great suggestion djboyag! 

I'm sure many people don't have that option if they only have one computer for example.

I hope TurboTax support staff reads this thread and figures out the source of their problem.

Just curious....was another version of TurboTax 2019 installed on your machine prior to the issue occuring?

I called the support line again and made reference to this discussion thread (and the URL) so maybe the development team could see the work around (copying the state folder from another computer).

Maybe that will help them pin down the problem and correct it.

I installed TT 2019 on my Windows 7 PC in Nov.

In December , I bought a custom built Windows 10 PC and installed TT 2019. I had issues with the way Windows 10 was configured so I formatted the drive and started over (twice).  Then TurboTax gave an error saying I exceeded the number of installs. I called support and they gave me a link to download and a new license key. 

Very helpful in that matter.

I also installed the new copy on my old Win7 computer but never tried to open the State return until the problem appeared on new Win10 PC and customer support could not resolve it (around (Jan 31).

Then I decided to try the State on the Win7 PC and it worked. I searched the forum and found this thread.

Gizzy815

Absolute garbage. Wasted 2 hours with tech. Nothing worked. Tech hung up on me. How do I get refund?

That worked for me too... I copied the vai_19 directory from the PC it was working on to the non-working PC and voila it now works.  Huge thanks for the work around as my wife can work on taxes on her laptop...  I'd buy you a beer if you were around.     

C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\Deluxe 2019\Forms\vai_19  (Virginia in my case)

Both Windows 10 machines.  

I had the exact same problem and just got it to work. I bought Deluxe 2019 from Amazon, installed and then downloaded Colorado (coi_19). I checked out the directories and for some reason the main program was installed in TurboTax/Deluxe 2019 but the coi_19 folder was installed in TurboTax/Premier 2019 (which I don't have). Copied the coi_19 folder from Premier to Deluxe and I'm able to access. Thanks to this thread for helping!

Login to turbo tax on your web browser of choice. Products & Pricing tab > Access My Downloads > Downloads> then download your state. Click the exe file for your state download once its complete and install. There's your fix, no need to call turbo tax.

The official solution from TurboTax was posted on Feb 10 here:

State Loop indicates TurboTax is "up to date" after updating but won't allow you to Install your sta... 

There is a download called TTStateClenanup.zip and instructions

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies