turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sweetlove
Returning Member

Unemployment

If I received my unemployment paper after I filed my taxes can I file it still next year or do I need to do it this year 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Unemployment

You will need to amend the 2020 tax return that was filed to add the unemployment compensation and for the exclusion to be applied.

An amended return, Form 1040-X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original tax return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return/01/27439

ArthurJ
Expert Alumni

Unemployment

Hello

It's a pleasure to be here to answer your question about filing unemployment 1099G.  The 1099G for 2020 must be filed on last year's return so you will have to amend your return and you would want to do that as soon as possible since the first 10,200 is not taxable in 2020 and as of today all unemployment income in 2021 will be subject to tax.  

I hope I was able to help you and save some money by filing that 1099G on your 2020 tax return.  I hope you have a wonderful day.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Sweetlove
Returning Member

Unemployment

How do I amend it 

Unemployment

@Sweetlove wrote:

How do I amend it 

Read my answer above for how to amend the 2020 tax return.

ArthurJ
Expert Alumni

Unemployment

Hello

Your question is "How do I amend my return".  If you filed with Turbo Tax when you log in to your account you should see that on your Main page after you log in.  I am providing you with a link on how to amend your 2020 tax return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/content/p_cg_tt_na_cas_na_article:L3XdA1Pw8_US_en_US&title=How%20do%20I%20am...?

If you have questions you always call for live help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies