turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Unable to import from Charles Schwab, says "the entered value does not meet the login id requirements"

Yep - that is what fails - if the letter are in the middle it will work.

I have reported it as a BUG.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Unable to import from Charles Schwab, says "the entered value does not meet the login id requirements"

Thank you.

While you wait for the fix may I suggest you change the ID at Schwab so it will work with TT as it is right now as the fix may take a while. 

STL

I am having same issue despite being able to log into Schwab with the proper credentials.  This is a TurboTax issue.

@STL wrote:

I am having same issue despite being able to log into Schwab with the proper credentials.  This is a TurboTax issue.

See my post above with the screenshots.    Is your ID one of the failure modes with the letters at the end of contain anything other then numbers and letters that is no longer allowed?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I had the same problem.  I logged into Schwab and selected the "service tab" and scrolled down to "security".  It gives you the option as shown below which allows you to link with your turbo tax

Third-Party Access to Account Information

You can provide third parties, like tax preparation programs, access to your account information at Schwab.Enabling access may impact the privacy and security of your accounts. If you choose to share your login credentials with third parties, their activities in your account will be considered authorized.

OFX
Enable Third-Party Access

You are enabling access to your account information through this channel (OFX protocol). Access will be enabled with your login ID and password alone, even if you have activated a token or other two-factor authentication method.If you share your credentials with any third-party to access your account information, their activities in your account will be considered authorized.

Disable Third-Party Access

You are disabling access to your account information through this channel (OFX protocol).

jmetherd

I'm also having this issue. Please fix this. I have way too many transactions to enter them manually

Too many transactions ?

As an active investor, be aware that your category Box A sales without adjustments do not require Form 8949, so there is no reason to import or key in those transactions.
instead use the "enter a summary" option to put your numbers on Schedule D Line 1a.

See this notice plainly stated on 2019 Form 8949.

cymesg

seriously!  Intuit and Charles Schwab cannot figure out how to work together?  

I have multiple pages of entries to make for all of the sales on the 1099.  This is not much help to tell me how to enter it manually.  

Will this ever get fixed or should I look for a tax program that works with Charles Schwab.

Schwab imports work fine.    What problem do you have?

See my post above that gives the new Schwab login ID rules.   Schawb also says that the ID cannot be a Social Security number so 8 consecutive numbers are also not allowed.   TurboTax checks according to Schwab new rules.

And no, this will never be "fixed" because it is not broken.

cymesg

I have tried to import from Schwab  three times.  I can open the file on my computer but consistently it will not link in Turbo Tax.  I am using my username and password that is not my SS number.  I do not know what other tricks you have to get this to work..please do share.

Exactly what happens?   If there is an error message, what does it say?

Have you allowed 3rd party access to your Schwab account in your Schwab profile?

I can no longer easily check, because I filed already. (I slogged and typed my Schwab stuff because of this bug.) But I'd like to emphasize, as I did in my post 3 weeks earlier, that

(*) I did not have to enter the enter my entire login before getting the error:

"As soon as the first character in either the password or logon ID is entered, the red text underneath the field changes from "This field is required" to the error message in the subject line. I've never seen such an error before -- anywhere."

And for the record,

(*) my login ID starts with several letters and has no sequence of more than 5 numbers. It is Schwab-correct.

And yet I got this very error.

It is such a strange error that, for all we know, it is not consistent across users. Perhaps the "failure modes" vary depending on the form being imported. Someone said "it doesn't fail with 9" characters or numbers, another that it works "if letters are in the middle". I think it is clear that there is a big problem, statements like this to the contrary:

"And no, this will never be "fixed" because it is not broken."

I fear that the first part of that sentence is correct. But it seems obvious the second part is false, given the number of complaints, more of which are surely soon to come. At the very least, when such an "error" occurs, the software should give a hint that the problem *could* have to do with the type of log-in credential and refer to something useful. But even THAT would be a big departure from TT's business model. (Were it not for user forums for TT and such, I would never have been able to successfully finish my taxes. TT's users do all the work even while we pay ever higher prices for the use of their software. Sweet!)

In my reply above I should have answered this very important question:

"Have you allowed 3rd party access to your Schwab account in your Schwab profile?"

In my case, YES indeed -- under the so-called OPX protocol, my profile has it checked to allow 3rd-part access. 

P-ete

This is a turbotax bug.

The restrictions in TT software are incorrect.

Play around with typing different things in the login box, and you will find that a shorter login with variations of numbers or letters are OK.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies