Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Unable to import from Charles Schwab, says "the entered value does not meet the login id requirements"

I've been entering this Schwab ID into TT for years with no problem. I'm familiar with the Schwab Login ID requirements you posted, and I called Schwab earlier this week to discuss the issue. I was told that these Login ID requirements concern NEWLY CREATED Login IDs, not EXISTING IDs like mine. They said it's a TT problem because their platform is not recognizing my ID as valid. So thanks for your condescending mansplaining. 

Unable to import from Charles Schwab, says "the entered value does not meet the login id requirements"

Also, my all-numeric Schwab ID that supposedly isn't allowed works perfectly fine when I log in to Schwab directly. So, yeah, it's a TT issue.

Of course it does.   Schwab will not lock you out of your normal account or you would not be able to change the login ID and/or password.     They probably grandfathered  the old login for the regular account but the independent server for imports only is a different server and the user ID/password check is not grandfathered for that.   TurboTax can only check the ID/password according the the rules provided by Schwab.  When you log in to the normal account it will probably suggest that you update your ID and password (which you need to do if you want to import).

Like I said, what I posted is *from* the Schwab website and I posted the Schwab link - not much more that TurboTax can do to help you because it is not a TurboTax issue - contact Schwab if you have an issue with Schwabs rules.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Let me type slower so that you understand.

TT has acknowledged the issue and understands CURRENT Schwab ID requirements.

TT has acknowledged that my numeric ID works with Schwab directly.

TT has told me THREE times that, even though my ID does not meet CURRENT Schwab ID requirements, TT nonetheless should accept my ID because it works with Schwab.

TT has told me THREE times that it IS THEIR ISSUE, not Schwab's, and that it would be fixed.

So you're telling me it's not a TT issue, even though TT says it's a TT issue. And you're telling me to take it up with Schwab, even though Schwab says the TT platform should accept any ID that Schwab accepts. And Schwab accepts my ID.

It's a TT issue. 

Also, when I log into Schwab, it does NOT tell me to update my ID.

@aircraft ace wrote:

Also, when I log into Schwab, it does NOT tell me to update my ID.

No point in discussing this further since TurboTax is checking the login ID in accordance to Schwab's published rules.

Ask Schwab - it's their rules.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

My goodness. Do you read?

I HAVE ASKED SCHWAB.

Schwab says that any ID accepted by Schwab should be accepted by TT even if the ID is all-numeric.

TT agrees with this but hasn't fixed the issue.

@aircraft ace wrote:

My goodness. Do you read?

I HAVE ASKED SCHWAB.

Schwab says that any ID accepted by Schwab should be accepted by TT even if the ID is all-numeric.

TT agrees with this but hasn't fixed the issue.

Then tell Schwab to change the published rules if they do not want TurboTax to adhere to them.   The plainly say all numeric are not allowed - cannot be clearer.

Ask Schwab again and ask them to read their own website published rules.  I gave you the link.  Read it yourself.

Out of curiosity I went to my own Schwab account and tried to change my user ID to all numeric and it will not permit it unless it contains at least one letter.       Whoever you talked to as Schwab does not know Schwabs own rules.

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 3.02.13 PM.jpg

Okay, Mr. Mansplainer. I called Schwab and changed my ID to adhere to Schwab's current ID requirements.

IT STILL DOES NOT WORK WITH TT. 

If it has 5 digits and letter, I cannot get it to fail.  Do you still get the same error or something different?

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 4.12.02 PM.jpg

@aircraft ace wrote:

Mr. Mansplainer.

And BTW what does that mean?   You have no idea who I am or if I am a "Mr.".

Same error. The new ID has two letters and eight numbers, for a total of 10 characters. Error goes away if I remove one number.

@aircraft ace wrote:

Same error. The new ID has two letters and eight numbers, for a total of 10 characters. Error goes away if I remove one number.

Ah...OK.   Is it actually 10 total characters and not 9?    I cannot make it fail with 9.

It seems that there is indeed a bug in the way that TurboTax is applying the rule.  If 10 digits and the letter are in the middle then is does not fail but if at the start or end then it fails.   (There might be other failure modes that I have not discovered).

I will report this as a BUG to the Moderators  but do not expect it to be fixed quickly. 

If you want the import to work quickly the  choose a user name and try it in the application first to be sure that it does not fail then change it with Schwab.

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 5.00.52 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-06-18 at 5.01.11 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-06-18 at 5.01.30 PM.jpg

Yes, 10 total characters (two letters, followed by eight numbers). It doesn't fail with 9.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies