turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Unable to efile due to QBI Deduction Worksheet Schedule B

Why is turbotax (TT) not letting me efile?  TT is stating that it cannot efile because  I "have QBI Deduction Worksheet Schedule B - Aggregation of Business Operations, in this return."   I efiled my extention without issue and now am concerned that TT is not letting me eFile my federal return.  Nothing has changed since filing my extention. 

Why is TT making me mail in my federal return versus efiling?  Are there issues with how TT is dealing with this deduction that it computed without my initiation?  Thanks for guidance to allow efiling or explanation that would help reduce my concerns for mailing in my return vs. efiling.

Much thanks!  Chuck

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

261 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Unable to efile due to QBI Deduction Worksheet Schedule B

have you linked  businesses you aggregated to the same qbi component worksheet. amust

on this worksheet have you answer the question about aggregation

if done properly all businesses similarly aggregated should appear listed separately below

now the next issue apparently the aggregation worksheet b is only when taxable income above 157,500 other than joint or 315,000 joint

the aggregated component worksheet should have most of the lines 1 -31 completed.

note you can have multiple aggregations.   each separate aggregation must be linked to its own component worksheet

for example say you have 2 schedule c's that are aggregated and 10 rental residential rental properties that are aggregated.   the schedule c's must be linked to 1 component worksheet and the rentals to another

home this helps.  

@seattlefuze wrote:

Why is turbotax (TT) not letting me efile?  TT is stating that it cannot efile because  I "have QBI Deduction Worksheet Schedule B - Aggregation of Business Operations, in this return."  

The bottom line here, I believe, is that TurboTax simply does not support e-filing in that tax situation (i.e., returns that include the QBI Deduction Worksheet Schedule B). You have to print and mail the return.

I'm not sure I follow the above explanation. Does that mean there is a way to reconfigure the situation to allow for e-filing?

Is this true?  The Turbo tax schedule says 8995 A, the QBI schedule should be out 2/20/20,  moved back from 2/12/20.  It says I can print and file.  But I'm not clear that the 8995A is the same as the Schedule B having to do with aggregating....

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

It is correct that Form 8995-A is the QBI Deduction form.   Schedule B Form 8995-A is a supporting schedule for this form for aggregating business enterprises.  The Form 8995-A will be available on 2/20/2020.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Checking on this thread.  I'm getting the same message (Cannot efile because  I "have QBI Deduction Worksheet Schedule B - Aggregation of Business Operations, in this return.")  If I wait until the form is released on the 20th will I be able to e-file?  Thanks.

@Cverson wrote:

If I wait until the form is released on the 20th will I be able to e-file?  Thanks.

Yes, because the form not being finalized is what appears to be impeding some users from being able to e-file.

TurboTax says I don't qualify for QBI (true), but it still says I have to paper-file the form. Is this a mistake?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You can try deleting the form 8995 if you don't qualify for the QBI deduction and that may allow you to e-file your tax return as follows:

1. Find the Tax Tools option on your left menu bar and click on it

2. Click on Tools

3. Find Delete a Form and click on it

4. Look for form 8995 in the list of forms and click on the option to delete it

Except we do qualify for QBI and it is a fair amount of money.  Turbo tax help said the 8995A form is what I need and that it should come out 2/20, even though initially it said 2/12.  He also said Turbo tax does not control when they get the form from the IRS, which I don't understand.....I hope he was right because I was ready to file 2/4.

WKins2
Expert Alumni

QBI (Qualified Business Income) is the net amount of qualified items of income, gain, deduction and loss from any qualified trade or business, including income from partnerships, S corporations, sole proprietorships, and certain trusts.

Previously disallowed QBI is the amount of the deduction that was disallowed in prior years due to things like total taxable income limitations. 

Form 8995-A, the form used to calculate the Qualified Business Income Deduction, including the QBI that was disallowed in prior years and the current year which can be carried forward to future years, has not yet been approved for filing by the IRS. The expected date this will be approved by the IRS is 2/5/2020.

The state and federal governments approve the most common forms first and work their way down the list. Please see the links below for updates on form availability.  Once released, Turbo Tax will work quickly to get it working in the program. Form 8995-A is near the bottom of the federal list. 

Federal form availability

State form availability

@ThomasM125-- Thanks for the assist! Unfortunately, the forms don't get deleted. Even the info I typed in is still there.

I guess what I need to do is wait until the 20th and try to send them through, even though I'm waaaay under the qualifying dollar amount.

I also have this problem.  I just finished my taxes and planned to just mail them, but after reading this I would like to wait and try to e-file instead.  Is this still possible even after I paid my bill and printed the documents?  I have not mailed them.  

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Yes, If you paid for the product, printed your return (but did not mail it) and now want to efile you can!

You will need to log off, and log back into your Turbo Tax Account, then follow these steps:

1. Select Tax Home in the left menu.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
  3. Select 2019, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you into the right area).
  4. Select File in the left menu (expand your browser window if you don't see this, or select the menu icon in the top left corner).
  5. On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.
  6. Select the Start button to the right of Step 3.
  7. On the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select I want to e-file.
  8. Follow the instructions to e-file your return.

@psdoolittle

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies