Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unable to delete Miscellaneous Income

Hi - I am using TurboTax Premier Online, and I had erroneously entered some income within Miscellaneous Income. BUT, now I am unable to delete it. I keep going to edit/add and none of what I had entered is there and I am unable to clear or delete this. Additionally, I tried going to Tools to delete the 1099-MISC form, but 1099-MISC is not listed and thus cannot delete.

PLEASE HELP.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Follow these steps to go to the Miscellaneous Income entry, you should see the amount already entered and you can clear the fields to remove the income.

How do i add miscellaneous income? - TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This does not bring me to any place where I can delete mistakenly added miscellaneous income. How do I delete an incorrect entry of miscellaneous income? I can't clear and start over with the whole thing because I already paid the TurboTax fee. Please help!

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@emprice99  Go to 'Income and Expenses'.  When you click on that all of the income that you have entered should be listed there with an 'Edit/Add' button next to it.  If the 1099 MISC income is not there, check to make sure everything else that you entered is.  

In addition, if you scroll down to the 'Less Common Income' and click on 'Revisit' next to 'Miscellaneous Income' it should show you all of the entries under that section and have an edit/delete button next to each.

If your entry is not visible in either of those places then you entered you miscellaneous income somewhere else.  It might be helpful to have someone walk through your return with you to see if they can figure out where you might have entered it.  I recommend getting live expert help.

Here is a link to finding a TurboTax expert.

However, that requires upgrading your product which may be an expense you don't want.  In that case you can call an expert and ask questions over the phone.

Here is a link to the TurboTax Phone Number.

I have the same problem.   

On the top of the home screen go to 

TOOLS than go to 

My Tax Data than scroll down to your entire and click on it.  

delete form

What I bought is turbo tax premier, and gives me the same headache!   Because  the expense of $5100 comes back on the next line right after I followed the instruction and deleted it.  I tried 4 times! I'm stuck!

Here is a copy of the problem, Silly issue of turbo tax premier 2021.PNG

Help!  Help!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If the solutions in this thread have not worked for you, please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support and request to speak to a tech support agent for further assistance. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@frank1618

Thanks for this detailed reply, but this does not solve the issue. If you revisit misc income within less common income, there is no place in the misc income section where it shows you all the entries. I was able to fix it by going back through misc income and adding another line for misc income and then clicking next, and miraculously it brought me to a screen of what I'd already entered, but there is no indication that this is how you'd be able to do it without trial and error. In my opinion it's a pretty big flaw as apparently I am not the only one this has happened to!

I hadn't entered it initially; I entered it during the final check when it came up as a blank field missing an amount. It is taxed fellowship income (not used for tuition) and couldn't see where it was appearing elsewhere correctly (supposed to be live 1 with notation SCH) so I entered it there. Then I was able to see the 1040 form and confirm it was appearing on line 1, so I had it double-entered. This impacted the tax due quite a bit, as you might imagine!

I did call TurboTax Customer Support and spent almost 60 minutes on the phone with him while he was trying to address the problem, and he gave up at the end.  He told me that I need to hire a CPA in order to fix the problem.  I need to hire a CPA to fix turbo tax software flaw????????????????????  

The tech said he opened a ticket for the problem, and I'm supposed to receive a feedback on the fix of it.  Will see how long it will take and provide an updates.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

To clarify

did you make an entry in a different section (other than Wages & Income) that would generate income?

For example:

A taxable scholarship

Excess HSA

Payback of advance child tax credit payments 

To help you get on the same page, the miscellaneous expense window has the following instruction:

"Here are expenses you listed on your 2020 tax return. Make any changes or deletions for 2021 and then enter your 2021 amounts."  

On the contrary, turbo tax software prevents any changes or deletions consistently, no matter what you do or how many times you tried to change or delete the amount. 

Updates.

My issue is related to miscellaneous expanse, so, I started a new one "Unable to delete Miscellaneous Expenses"

scootser

There is no such TOOLS option in turbo tax home and business.

scootser

This does not work

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies