turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TA30
Returning Member

Two 1042-S forms and Bangladesh-US tax treaty

I am an international student from Bangladesh. I have been in the US since 2014 on an F-1 visa. Since I am a resident alien for tax purposes, using TurboTax is one of the only options available to me. So far, I am having a lot of trouble with filing through TurboTax.

It doesn’t allow 1042-S. Bangladesh has a tax treaty with the US. How do I input that information?

To make matters worse, I have changed universities. I held a GA position in both universities and as such, had incomes from two different universities during 2019. So, I have two different 1042-S.

I am utterly confused. Why must this be so difficult?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

The 1042S is not supported so you have to enter the parts separately. The good news, you can add them together for one entry.

For the income:

1. Go to federal
  2. to Income and Credits
  3. to last section, Less Common Income
  4. bottom selection, Miscellaneous Income
  5. Start
  6. bottom selection, Other Reportable Income
  7. Start
  8. Any Other Taxable Income?
  9. Yes
  10. 1042S income and enter the total of the 2 forms.
  11. Continue
  12. Click the blue Add Another Income Item on the left
  13. Enter  Bangladesh Treaty and the amount as a negative dollar
  14. Continue

If you have other information on the 1042S, it will need to be captured in the sections that match it in similar fashion. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TA30
Returning Member

Thank you! I really appreciate the help. I will try these steps.

TA30
Returning Member

I am looking at the section and I don't see any 'Miscellaneous Income' under the less Common Items. Is it because I am using the free online version?

TA30
Returning Member

Okay, I figured correctly. I won't be able to file 'with my tax treaty' unless I upgrade. ☹️

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Follow prompts to upgrade or follow instructions here: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/upgrading/help/how-do-i-upgrade-or-switch-to-a-higher-version-of-t...

@TA30

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi, 

You can actually enter your miscellaneous income using the IRS free file Turbo Tax edition if you qualify for low income or some categories. Visit IRS site and search for free filing software. The IRS site will give you a list of free filing softwares and Turbotax is one of them. Click the link given and it will take you to the IRS free file program for TurboTax. If you have low income and want to file for free this is probably the best method.

P.S. The free edition of TurboTax that you can access from their website is not the same as the IRS free file edition. The former is like a trial version with limited capabilities. 

This is incorrect.

TurboTax does not support 1042-S. You must paper file your tax if you have claimed tax treaty benefits.

Additionally, it is also crucial that you submit form 8833 along with it. Not submitting form 8833 when you are required to can be penalized with $1000 fine for each failure.

What do you mean by it is incorrect? Students do not need to submit 8833 form. And if you already claimed and got tax-treaty in the previous year, the process is different.

This is how to claim it, so if you already claimed and got the tax treaty you don't have to do that. And you should read it again. If you are working as a student with F-1 visa, you don't need to file the 8833 form.

You do not have to file Form 8833 for any of the following situations:

1. You claim a reduced rate of withholding tax under a treaty on interest, dividends, rent, royalties, or other fixed or determinable annual or periodic income ordinarily subject to the 30% rate.
  2. You claim a treaty exemption that reduces or modifies the taxation of income from dependent personal services, pensions, annuities, social security and other public pensions, or income of artists, athletes, students, trainees, or teachers. This includes taxable scholarship and fellowship grants.

Also, when you use schedule 1 to add and deduct tax treaty amount, your gross income lowers by the tax treaty amount. I've noticed that it enables people to claim EITC, which is erroneous. 

Yes it said 'normally' which means it is not mandatory. And I am also talking about the situation when you have already claimed and received the tax-treaty in the previous year. And isn’t a document provided from a school?? You should follow the steps that the experts from this software company offered. All softwares and system are different. I think you can follow the steps here and send 1040 form by mail.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies