Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax wants me to download a state I don't need. How can I remove it thinking I need the state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

TurboTax wants me to download a state I don't need. How can I remove it thinking I need the state?

You are not required to download the state program.   You can just ignore the prompts.   Do you need a different state than the one it is prompting you to use?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

12 Replies

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900608-how-do-i-delete-my-state-return-in-turbotax-online

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I don't have the state return.

It is telling me to download it.

I want to get rid of that prompt

You are not required to download the state program.   You can just ignore the prompts.   Do you need a different state than the one it is prompting you to use?

I already have the one I need.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Turbo Tax FAQ on how to delete your state return.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-delete-my-state-return-in-turbotax-on...

@ss-mendo-munny

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

i don't need to delete one

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

As @xmasbaby0 stated above, if you do not need the state you can ignore the prompt. 

Did you file the state the system is prompting on a previous year return?

crj900

It will not let me ignore the prompt it is greyed out until you select an additional state to download. I do not need another state I want to continue to work on my state, but it won't let me continue without downloading an additional state because the prompt is greyed out.

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

If you are using TurboTax Online, you may want to try a different browser or try clearing out your browser's cache and cookies. Please see How do I delete cookies? and How to clear your cache for more information.

Please feel free to contact Customer Support so you can speak with someone who can assist you. 

@crj900 

Assimilator
Returning Member

I am also facing similar issue, I amended my 2020 taxes through turbo tax online software and it got rejected due a reason and now as per the given instructions I have to download the TurboTax Desktop software and though I have to amend only federal it asks me to download the state taxes though I do not need those. Also it is asking me to pay $45 while I already paid the entire charges including states in 2020 when used the online software that that time. Is there a solution.

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

If you are not required to download the state program.   You can just ignore the prompts.

Assimilator
Returning Member

When you can not amend your taxes online and TurboTax online asks you do download TurboTax desktop, there is no other way to amend your taxes without downloading state taxes though you don’t need them. The best option is to contact customer support and convince them to help. I called multiple times to explain this finally got one, who helped and ordered state tax for me. This helped to finish my taxes. There is no other way which I know or provided by customer support to exclude or ignore state taxes while amending federal taxes. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies