Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax successfully activated and using for 2 months until today--but won't accept license code that it asks for. Can't access the product.

In early December I purchased and activated TurboTax Premier for Windows desktop.  I have been successfully using since then until today.  After clicking on icon to open, it updated the software but then prompted for the license code to be entered.  I found the code received when purchased and entered, however instead of accepting the code an error message displays:  "All available activations for that code have been used. Error code 603." 

I only installed on one computer and only activated one time.

1) Why would it prompt me for an activation code today if I had already successfully entered one in December and have accessed regularly since that time.  Is there a bug in today's update that is shooting the software in the foot and prompting for the activation code again?

2) Why would the message say all activations for the code have been used if I have purchased this from an authorized seller and paid full price, and have only used one time on one computer?  Again, is this being caused by a bug that today's update introduced?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax successfully activated and using for 2 months until today--but won't accept license code that it asks for. Can't access the product.

This would be best resolved by clicking here to contact customer service. 

Since the system is not allowing you to use the activation code, they will need to see if they can resolve this. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your reply. However in the meantime, after contacting TurobTax support last night and then contacting the company I purchased TurboTax from this year, late last night I found an answer on the community forums that appears to be the solution.  Maybe others can benefit if they encounter the same problem, therefore here is what I replied elsewhere on the community forum that explains the answer:

"I think Critters reply about this, referring to someone else's reply, may have solved it for me.  I noticed I had a thumb drive plugged in and when I ejected the thumb drive I was able to once again open TurboTax without it saying enter activation code and then saying "All available activations for that code have been used. Error code 603."

I don't know why having a thumb drive inserted in a USB port---which has nothing whatsoever to do with TurboTax, no content on the drive related in any way---clobbers the log on security, but apparently it does.  When the thumb drive is in the usb port, the mysterious problem occurs and TurboTax is inaccessible.  When the thumbdrive is ejected TurboTax can be opened normally.  

Apparently having the thumbdrive plugged in confuses the software security somehow. It also confuses the user since that is not an obvious cause/effect relationship to the typical end user.  (Or to TurboTax support--- maybe they should put that possible solution in their knowledgebase.)"

whdw41a
Returning Member

This is very interesting as TurboTax support had me return the 2 different versions of Turbo Tax 2020 I had purchased from Amazon saying they were boot legged because I had the same issue with them asking for an Activation code multiple times.  Today the issue reappeard on TurboTax 2019 which I tried to open to look at a form from last year.  Unplugging external storage did resolve the issue today.   I had tried to launch a last year’s 2019 taxes stored on the external drive and ended up with the activation screen.  I also observed this issue seems to resurface after a Windows 10 update.   Obviously, this is a bug in the TurboTax software that is causing this issue.  They need to address this. 

Yes, it would be nice if TurboTax technical staff could resolve this issue in the internals of the software and it's security system, and also in the meantime make sure that TurboTax  support has access to a Knowledgebase that indicates this solution (unplug your flash drive, and possibly other peripherals that are plugged in) as a possible solution to the problem. That solution is fast and easy, and doesn't have support incorrectly advising customers to go back to their seller with claims of providing them bootleg copies when in actuality it is apparently a bug of some type in the software package.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies