Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax printed vouchers for Estimated Payments for 2021 tax return. Will IRS take these amounts out of my bank account automatically at due dates? I did not ask for it.

I was in the US on work visa during 2020. In future I may not live in the US as my contract is finished. But during my 2020 taxes, Turbotax printed vouchers for Estimated Payments for 2021 tax return. Since IRS has my bank account details, Will IRS take these payments now out of my bank account even if I do not live and work in the US in future?.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Turbotax printed vouchers for Estimated Payments for 2021 tax return. Will IRS take these amounts out of my bank account automatically at due dates? I did not ask for it.

Any 2021 vouchers are only recommendations.  It seems you owed tax this year, so Turbotax is recommending you pay additional estimated payments for 2021.  You don't have to use them if think your tax situation will not require them. You can pay a different amount, if you determine that a different amount is correct, and if you make a payment online at www.irs.gov/payments, you don't even need the paper voucher form.

Turbotax will not make estimated tax payments for you, and the IRS will not automatically debit your account for estimated payments unless you specifically enroll in that service on the IRS web site.

This has nothing to do with your 2020 tax due.  That is due in full April 15, and you can pay by direct debit on your tax return, or select "pay by mail" and make your own payment arrangements (check or electronically or credit card). 

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Those estimated payment Form 1099-ES are for your use only.  To use you must print and mail the form with a payment to the IRS.  It is not required and you do not have to use.

Any 2021 vouchers are only recommendations.  It seems you owed tax this year, so Turbotax is recommending you pay additional estimated payments for 2021.  You don't have to use them if think your tax situation will not require them. You can pay a different amount, if you determine that a different amount is correct, and if you make a payment online at www.irs.gov/payments, you don't even need the paper voucher form.

Turbotax will not make estimated tax payments for you, and the IRS will not automatically debit your account for estimated payments unless you specifically enroll in that service on the IRS web site.

This has nothing to do with your 2020 tax due.  That is due in full April 15, and you can pay by direct debit on your tax return, or select "pay by mail" and make your own payment arrangements (check or electronically or credit card). 

Actually my 2020 tax may be the last tax that I have filed in the US because I was in the US on work visa only. Since I have left US and may not come back for work due to Covid etc, so my only worry is that since I owe some amount in 2020 taxes so I put my bank account details for IRS to direct debit those amounts that I owe. But I do not want IRS to direct debit these 2021 estimated payments out of my bank account since they have my bank account details.       

No.  The 1040ES slips are optional to pay and the IRS won't be expecting them.  They did not get sent with your return.  

@lalashireen wrote:

Actually my 2020 tax may be the last tax that I have filed in the US because I was in the US on work visa only. Since I have left US and may not come back for work due to Covid etc, so my only worry is that since I owe some amount in 2020 taxes so I put my bank account details for IRS to direct debit those amounts that I owe. But I do not want IRS to direct debit these 2021 estimated payments out of my bank account since they have my bank account details.       

The IRS won't debit your account based on Turbotax's estimate.  That information is not even sent to the IRS. 

If you want more control over your 2020 payment of taxes due, select in Turbotax "I will pay by check", and then either mail a check or make a direct payment at www.ir.gov/payments.

Actually my Federal and provincial taxes are accepted by IRS. Can I still change the payment option in turbotax? If yes please explain how?

Actually my Federal and provincial taxes are accepted by IRS. Can I still change the payment option in turbotax? If yes please explain how?

No sorry it's too late..

As long as IRS does not automatically debit my bank account for "Estimated Payments for 2021 tax", I am relieved..

I also got Estimated payments printed out but I didn't not owe taxes in 2020, but received a refund. Would they calculate Estimated Payments even if I received a refund this year?

Possibly.  If you are receiving a refund or low tax due and Turbo Tax prepared the vouchers then your tax liability was probably reduced by credits.  They might have printed out if you got a  one time large income this year like if you took a IRA or 401k distribution.

Hello,

Last year while filing tax for 2019,  I did pay the Estimated Payments (as Turbotax provided vouchers) on IRS site (https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay).  However, this year I'm getting a refund based on my W2.  How do I get the overpayment back from IRS.

Thanks,

Raj

@ raj17  wrote:

Last year while filing tax for 2019,  I did pay the Estimated Payments (as Turbotax provided vouchers) on the (IRS Direct Pay) website.  However, this year I'm getting a refund based on my W2.  How do I get the overpayment back from IRS.

That's a bit confusing since you mention that you paid the estimated payments "while filing tax for 2019" and that you paid them (vouchers) directly at the IRS Direct Pay website.  I don't fully understand that since the estimated tax payments are normally paid quarterly throughout the 2020 tax year.   So I'm assuming that you designated these as 2020 estimated tax payments when you paid them at the IRS Direct Pay site.

In any case, I had already left you an answer in the thread you started on how to report any 2020 quarterly estimated tax payments you made last year toward your 2020 taxes.   See that answer here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/i-couldn-t-find-any-form-entry-where-i-can-provid...

After you finish entering your payments in that section, when you review your return before filing, be sure the payments show up on your 2020 Form 1040, Line 26.

I cannot print estimated payment vouchers for state. Actually, I can't  even pull up my tax returns filed this year,

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies