Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax 2022 Update shows untrusted publisher

When opening TurboTax 2022, it wants to update, however, there seems to be an issue with the updater application.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit\Update Service v4\IntuitUpdate.exe does not seem to have a valid digital signature which results in a warning in Windows 10. The file is from August 2022, so I'm surprised that I did not notice earlier.

Signing Cert Info:

Signer name: Intuit ESD Test Certificate (self-signed certificate)

Thumbprint: 54d8c1d2e1208f5ee3722f1771f3520e17965903

File info:

SHA1: 7862fb3ceeb5abc865842c66667a011518324ea3

SHA256: fb5727d457a0265c90cd2fb56e5b1d6fad7cea87df7ab72efd67fb85d3a3e002

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

Please review the following Help Article to see if any of the steps provide a solution for the issue you're experiencing:  Troubleshoot installation and running TurboTax for Windows - Intuit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

None of those. Please forward my message to one of your developers.

Having exact same issue. Need this resolved ASAP, please.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support for assistance with this issue. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

When is the problem with updating Turbotax going to be resolved.  This is March 31.  I paid for Turbotax, I don't want to pay someone to prepare my taxes because Turbotax is locked up.

@TomatKville wrote:

When is the problem with updating Turbotax going to be resolved.  This is March 31.  I paid for Turbotax, I don't want to pay someone to prepare my taxes because Turbotax is locked up.

Turn off you virus and malware software and then download the software.  After download turn the virus and malware software back on.

I use Google Chrome and McAfee Virus protection and do not have this issue with a TurboTax download.

I use Windows 10 and Webroot.  Based on what I see when I google this problem a lot of people with windows 10 have the problem and so far there is no indication that Intuit intends to fix it.

Even if I tell Windows to ignore the untrusted publisher, Intuitupdater attempts to install updates but fails.  When that happens I cannot open Turbotax.  Have not found a work around to open Turbotax without running updates.

I don't think I should have to turn off my virus software to fix Intuit's problem.  I have had more than one scammer try to convince me to do something like that.

edlg

I have successfully updated TurboTax several times. But today (4/9/2023)  I got exactly the same problem after yesterday's update. This a big security problem and it needs to be fixed ASAP - nobody should be letting applications from untrusted publisher run on their systems. If intuit updater got screwed up in the last update, what else got screwed up in it? 

I submitted a refund request despite being past the 60-day window. Maybe that will get some attention on this.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

It would be best to give us a call here, to better assist and look into this. @edlg @john895100 

Tried that twice. No success.

BME
Level 2

It's 4/11/23, and I am having a similar issue.  In attempting to download and install 2022 Turbotax Deluxe at InstallTurboTax.com, I was met with a security warning from my Kaspersky security software (links removed):

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Visiting an untrustworthy website has been prevented

One or more of this website's certificates are invalid, so we can't guarantee its authenticity. This happens when the website's owner hasn't updated the certificate in time, or if it's a fake site created by scammers. Visiting a website like this makes you more vulnerable to attack.

You were protected from visiting this website by Kaspersky security. You can close this window with no risk.

Hide Details

Detected at: 4/11/2023 11:51:14 AM

URL: installturbotax.com

Reason: Invalid name of certificate. Either the name is not on the allowed list, or was explicitly excluded. View certificate.

I understand the risks and wish to continue.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Clicking the "wish to continue" link did not work.   

Take 2.  I reluctantly disabled my Kaspersky File Anti-Virus and Safe Browsing protective features, and was still unable to complete the operation. 

Take 3.  I finally got the task done by switching from Chrome to Edge.  I then turned the Kaspersky protective features back on, and the installed software performed a proper update without hanging up.   

This is troubling.  Why in the world wouldn't there be a VALID, AUTHENTIC website certificate for Turbotax software?  If Kaspersky is in error, why wouldn't that information be posted here by a knowledgeable TurboTax rep?  This is a disconcerting way to start off this year's return prep.  Hoping there isn't more of this to come.     

I found a solution that works for me. When I open my computer, I always log in as "administrator." But apparently TurboTax does not recognize me as administrator.  I no longer use the TT icon on the Desktop.  I go to the TT execution file then I right click and click "run as administrator." I have not had a problem since I started doing this.

I waited a few days before attempting to download updates. That is also working at this time. I intend to attempt to e-file today.  We will see if that works.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies