Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax 2019 for mac crashed

So I wouldn't try it again until they fix this issue with paying for state filing. I've escalated within Intuit separately.

I worked from the assumption that a cached file was corrupted during the crash.  Following that assumption, I was able to get back up and running after removing (actually moved to a backup directory) all the Turbotax 2019 files under ~/Library.  

I would recommend that you do this at your own risk!

Files removed (where applicable from the "Remove and reinstall TurboTax for Mac" instructions:

• ~/Library/Application Support/TurboTax 20XX
  • ~/Library/Caches/com.intuit.TurboTax.20XX
  • ~/Library/Caches/TurboTax 20XX
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.intuit.TurboTax.20XX.plist
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.intuit.TurboTax.20XX.LSSharedFileList.plist
  • ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.intuit.TurboTax.20XX.savedstate
  • ~/Library/Cookies/com.intuit.turbotax.20XX.binarycookies
  • ~/Library/WebKit/com.intuit.turbotax.20XX
  • ~/Library/Containers/com.intuit.turbotax.mac20XX
    • (This folder will only appear if you installed from the Mac App Store instead of a CD or download.)
  • ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/com.apple.sharedfilelist/com.apple.LSSharedFileList.ApplicationRecentDocuments/com.intuit.turbotax.20XX.sfl
    • (This folder will only appear for OS X 10.11, El Capitan.)

Once that was done, I restarted the app and re-download the states (you should see and option for states already installed).  We'll see if I can file now.

Update:

Note - I've also cross-posted in https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/turbotax-premier-crashes-on-macos-catalina-10-15-...

I had some limited success in getting the app operational again.  I began by removing the ~/Library files (cached files, saved state, and etc.).  See https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac/00/26050 

In this case, I left the Application in tact and simply removed the localized user files.  Once the files are removed, reboot, restart the app, install the states that you have purchased (it still recognized the prior purchases), and I was back and operation.

While the app is now running, it continues to crash during the filing process (it makes it through to the point that the prior credit card transaction is recognized, and then crashes).  

I will also note, that if you choose to send the crash reports after a crash, the Library files will need to be removed again.  if the windows are closed, I am able to re-open the app again without issue.

I ran into the same issue where after paying for CA efile fee, the app crashed and then it wouldn't restart. I deleted all the Library files mentioned above, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, restarted my Mac and still the app fails to start.

I called support and was on the phone with them for over 2 hours, they were very helpful but we were not able to resolve the issue.

I am still unable to run TurboTax Premier 2019 even after Intuit support provided me a new download.

Waiting for a solution.

Trying to e-file the federal and state, paid for the State and E-file and when the system transfers my Returns  to TT to start the e-file process, it disappears and comes back with a long Crash message.  Can someone from TT engineering respond to this?  

jaybedia

You guys, I finally figured it out!  

When you get to the E-file for the State where it crashes when you hit the close button, notice there is a second small close button in the very bottom right of the popup window.   If you press this close button instead of the big blue one then it closes without crashing.  Hope this works for you all.

Yes! Worked for me!

siasl
Returning Member

I get only a "TurboTax 2019 has unexpectedly quit" window and complete failure to launch the app at all. No update screen or verification option or anything. Also on Catalina, and also product (Premiere) purchased from Costco

Is there a planned fix for this issue from Intuit?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please contact support below for download issues. 

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This thread is from weeks ago, and I'm encountering the same issues today.  Calling support does not appear to be making any difference.  Has anyone had any success with support?

My Turbotax 2019 Deluxe crashed after the credit card transaction to pay for my state e-file. As a result, neither my Federal nor state return was e-filed. When I try to reopen the program, it crashes every time. I have tried deleting Library files and reinstalling, but still no luck. Can I send my saved electronic tax return to a Turbotax secure site for e-filing?

jackc57: I had the same problem all day yesterday and actually ended up taking a vacation day due to the amount of time I spent on it.  After deleting library files, deleting turbo from application folder, reinstalling, and restarting computer about 4 times, it finally worked.  Not sure why.  You might give it a go a few more times (if you have the time) before trying alternative filings.  Your question about a secure site for e-filing a saved return is a good one - hopefully you'll get an answer as it might help a lot of others who can't push the efiling through. 

Wow, and I thought it was only me that was having the same crashing problem when e-filing. I also contacted customer support and that was the biggest waste of time. I'll try what others have posted here and hopefully they'll update/FIX!! the software shortly.

johnsondana: thanks for your input! I will try the "fix" a few more times and, hopefully, it will work! What has usually been an easy tax process for me in the past, using TurboTax, has turned into a frustrating mess. I hope TT has more respect for their Mac customers in the future! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies