Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax 2019 activation lasted one day

Hi,

I downloaded, installed, and activated TurboTax 2019 Premier for Windows, purchased from Amazon, on Sunday 11/17/2019 and got started on my returns.  Everything seemed to be working fine.

I was required to activate again when starting TurboTax tonight, 11/18/2019.

I'm running Windows 10 Home 1909 version 10.0.18363.476

I don't know how activation works internally, but if it works by system thumbprint where multiple activations of the same thumbprint count as a single activation, I should be fine.  If it's a simple numerical count, I could end up having a problem down the road if this keeps happening.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

92 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

The way TurboTax activation system was described to me is that the activation system keeps track of the hardware ID of the PC on which it was activated and reactivations on that same PC do not further subtract from the 5 permitted activations using a particular license code.

This is the first year that TurboTax is using the activation system, so I would keep an eye out for any continuing quirkiness.

I purchased a CD for Desktop, the instruction state that it can be installed on up to 5 machines, I installed on 3 of my PC's and on the 3rd one it started asking the activation again just an hour after I installed it.

I re-entered the activation code and it replied that all available activation for that code had been used.

This is clearly a bug on the way Intuit is keeping track of the registration and activation. Now I'm stuck and I cannot use the product.  The Turbo Tax programmers made yet another mistake. The activation should be tied to the S/N of the computer, but it looks like it is not. How do I get my money back ?

Also every year Turbo Tax is getting slower and slower, it takes an eternity to edit and correct an entry for a 1099 form.

TurboTax2019-Bug.jpg

As mentioned in the other thread you are in ... contact TT support for assistance OR  simply wait for this new bug on a new system to be worked out.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/188186

Our Satisfaction Guaranteed (or Guaranteed Easy) policy says that if you're not satisfied with your TurboTax software, you can return it within 60 days of purchase for a full refund (see the Intuit Software End User License Agreement for the fine print, about 2/3 of the way down the page - Section B, Additional Terms and Conditions, point #6).

To submit a refund request online, simply fill out our TurboTax Refund Request Form.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have TT installed on two systems and am working on the same return on both.  If I update one system, and do not copy the tax data file over to the other one, the second system will not activate (gives error) when TT is started.

Once I copy the updated data file over to the second system, TT runs fine on it.  Not sure if this is a bug, or an absence of instructions on how to run TT on multiple systems with the same data file...

Why are you using 2 computers?  Yes you have to move the data file ending in .tax2019 back and forth.  You should only have 1 data file (per person).  That can be a big mistake and lead to problems.   It will be easy to enter into the wrong copy or enter into both computers and not use the current return.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems like a strange question for anyone familiar with TT history...  I've done this for many years with TT.

I have both a desktop and a laptop.  I use one upstairs at my desk, and the other wherever I want.  I work on taxes wherever.  Don't most people with multiple systems???

I do know that I have to use the most current data file, and have always copied them back and forth between systems.  It has never been a problem.  Only now, with the online activation, do I need to COPY THE LATEST DATA FILE FIRST, before the second system updates.  If I don't, I get an activation error on the second system.

Apparently, "activation" is contained, or triggered, within the latest data file.  New issue, and I am puzzled on why activation isn't system specific.

It shouldn't be tied to the data file.  I posted your post to the moderators.  That may help the tech department figure out the Activation problems they are having.

There is this one known problem, but doesn't sound like your situation 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/turbotax-license-activation-every-time-turbotax-20... 

It looks  like yet another bug on the 2019 TT.

According to the instructions received with the CD it should allow activation on 5 different computers, regardless of what tax data file you feed to it.

Yes I copy my tax data file from one computer to another, but if I want to make a test tax return to calculate estimate tax for next year, it should let me do whatever I need to.

This whole activation system is just stupid, it should just keep track of the S/N of the computer and allow activation on 5 different machines as it says on the instructions.

Yes this is stupid.  I could not recommend TT19 now to anyone, and have H&R Block on my computer now, which I feel is just as good.  Spent over an hour on phone with Tech, have a CD, and now there new download, and still won't activate with their help, and all the advise by tech here.  Screen says your all set, with a check mark after entering code, and then we go right back to entering code page again.  I have TT14, 15, 16, 17, 18, and never had this problem.  Do they think this software is of such restricted importance, that they need you to enter a code from them to use it.  And how out of no-where, can a program say you are all set to use it, when you enter the code, and then not run, and go back to the entering code page again.  What  genius IT person wrote that page in there, "your all set" when obviously, the code and program has done nothing.  They lost me, I can't be there pig for helping them solve a corrupt program.. And by the way, it's not my system, I connect up to 5 very secure financial sites everyday, with no problem.

ReachELS
Returning Member

I experienced the same issue with repeated requests to activate for a single license on a single computer.  The activation system is not counting the number of computers...it is counting the number of separate activation requests which assumes that one activates one time  on a  single computer.  Therein lies the problem.

I spoke with a wonderful woman in Miami who advised me to turn off Malwarebytes.  It blocks TT from searching the computer to see if the software has been activated.  The "block" forces another activation...and then another the next time you access TT,   etc.  until you've reached the limit of five. 

I turned off Malwarebytes, uninstalled it from my pc,  and activated with a new code that TT provided me.  A a test, I was able to re-access the software without activation after both (1) closing out the app and (2) closing out the app and restarting the computer.

Fingers crossed.

The codes are to combat the rampant fraud in the marketplace via unauthorized resellers...sadly a necessary evil. There are always bugs with any new system...and all you early users are the beta testers...those who wait until mid to late Jan to start their returns will have less issues. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

TT at it again.  Pull the gun, point it at your head, and then be stupid enough to pull the trigger!

Do any of you folks remember over a decade ago when they installed a hidden protection scheme ON THE ROOT DIRECTORY OF YOUR HARD DRIVE, THAT COULD NEVER BE REMOVED???  Nobody wants to remember THAT!

Lots of class action law suits, a whole lot of firing, and finally a fix that removed the directory.  It seems hard to believe they might have created a similar event!  Maybe it's the new folks who never knew of this.  It's not as bad as a decade ago, but it seems to be awful annoying to a whole lot of folks!

"The activation system is not counting the number of computers...it is counting the number of separate activation requests which assumes that one activates one time on a single computer. Therein lies the problem."

Clearly that is the wrong assumption and does not match the instructions they provide with the CD that clearly states up to 5 machines, not 5 activations. What happens if I have to reinstall on the same machine because of a failure or a system crash ?

The situation in my case was even worse, it kept asking for activation on a machine that was already registered and activated.

Intuit TT support had to give me a new activation code to get out of the loop. After that I did not have this problem again, but I did not try a re-install yet to see what happens... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies