turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax 2018 Deluxe crashes constantly

I also was having many crashes of 2018 TurboTax Premier and on one button it was repeatable.  I un-maximized the TurboTax window and have not had a crash since, even on the repeatable button.

Good..  AT least some of us have limited success overcoming this crashing problem by not maximizing the TurboTax window...

I tried not maximizing my TurboTax session but I still get a crash.  :(

I also tried saving my tax file on a USB connected drive because I read someplace that the solid state drives could be a problem, but still shutdown.  :(

After many attempts to fix my crashing issue with tech support, they refunded me the cost of the software and it already deposited.  I went to the online version and it worked fine.  Unfortunately, the 2017 Turbotax pdf kept failing to upload into their system so I had to re-enter everything but it worked well and I submitted both my federal and state taxes.

Yes, I have turbotax delux running on my new HP computer with windows 10.  It crashes randomly, about every 5 to 10 minutes.  So far, it usually saves the data before it crashes.  Very frustrating.  May have to look for a new option to do my taxes next year.

I finally solved the problem, at least for myself.

I hadn't experienced much in the way of the *random* crashing that others mentioned (only when I was doing a large import). However, I had previously been unable to save as PDF, and the behavior I experienced was inconsistent. Usually, TT would just vanish (crash) during the save. Sometimes a PDF file (incomplete) would appear before the crash, but usually it wouldn't. Sometimes, TT would display an error message popup before I had a chance to click "save" - while I was selecting what to include in the PDF. It was all over the place.

What fixed it was installing TT fresh on a different PC (a tower instead of a laptop), installing all the updates and rebooting. On this machine, I could save to PDF with no problems. In fact, I was able to do the regular PDF save as well as the "key worksheets" and "all worksheets" PDF save.

I don't know what made the difference on my tower. It's more powerful, and I have fewer applications installed on it (e.g. no Office). Maybe that's it. Maybe it's the fact that my tower (where the save worked) *doesn't* have the Oct 2018 Windows 10 update, which for some reason hasn't been offered yet to this machine. Maybe it's that on my laptop I had opted for TT to not send performance feedback, but I left that option enabled on my tower.

My hunch, however, is that the issue here is a race condition - a timing issue. That's usually the cause when the symptoms are inconsistent, since otherwise the program should behave deterministically. So running on a different machine with different characteristics may have itself been the cure. For example, my laptop has an SSD, whereas my tower has an old-style spinning HD (much slower to write files to). It's entirely possible that the export operation was executing too fast on my laptop, causing the race condition to hit a failure path.

Anyway, it's just a hunch, but it would be good to know if others who hit the "crash when saving to PDF" issue also are using an SSD.

Yes, Mike the Engineer, I am using an SSD (solid state disk).  Not maximizing (or un-maximizing) the TurboTax window eliminated TurboTax vanishing (crashing) for me.

Man is this program quirky, I consider it a win if it doesn't crash within 10-minutes. It's almost usable since the auto-save feature allows me to retrieve my work. Amazing what I am willing to put up with to complete my taxes. This is what to expect when there is no competition in the tax preparation software market. Not only to you have to pay the government they also require so many hours of wasted time preparing your return without compensation.

Mike, yes, I am running on an SSD  laptop, using multimonitors.  Good theory.  Thanks.   

Is there anyone having the crashing problems NOT using a SSD drive?

My computer has an SSD drive and crashes.

I'd expect that the people who are seeing lots of crashes when TT is maximized are hitting a different issue than those who are having problems saving to PDF. The whole SSD thing is a long shot anyway, but if it was the cause of my crashes when saving, I wouldn't expect that to make a difference for the crash-while-maximized folks, since that's less likely to be timing related.

The maximize difference does not help for me.  The only thing that makes sense to me is my SSD drive.  

I have done all that the TT community and customer service has suggested; uninstall and reinstall, admin stuff, turnoff AV, use a different AV program, manual updates, and updated all of my drivers.  I even returned the TT CD and got the download version.  TT customer service had suggested I try a different computer when asking if I had a SSD drive but I don't have another computer here.  Then they said to use TT online, which I would have to pay more to file just the federal return and I already have done too much work in the desktop version for 2 returns to start over.   I just don't trust this version yet to actually file my returns.  I also bought HR Block but I don't like it, my returns are complicated and I am so familiar with TT that I am not comfortable changing now.

I need a backup computer anyway, so I may get a cheap laptop with a standard drive and see if that fixes this problem.  I have used TT for years and have always liked it until this ridiculous version.  This has turned into a challenge for me while I wait and hope for a fix before I try to file my returns.

Interesting that support would ask about an SSD. I never called support, given all of the stories here. The SSD thing was just a theory as I was thinking about the differences between my two computers. If you don't have another machine and want to test out the timing hypothesis, another idea would be to get an external spinning HD, put your TT file on that, and try saving to PDF on that drive. It's not a perfect test, though, since it's possible that TT is using the boot drive for temporary files, but if you don't have access to another PC it may be worth a shot.

I have an ASUS X556UA running Windows Home 10 with an SSD which seems to work. It still crashes periodically not unlike the TURBO TAX version 2017. It's annoying but usable due to the autosave feature.

Manage cookies