TurboTax 2018 and macOS Catalina

@12121 wrote:

I think you missed the bell. Turbo 2018 stopped functioning early October!

@12121 - I don't know what you are responding to but this thread and questions are about the CD/download desktop version and the above error message is from the CD/download version that did not stop functioning in October.    Only the online versions ended in October 15.

TurboTax 2018 and macOS Catalina

@Mac thank you for the quick response.  I did wonder about the state information so I went ahead and downloaded the state info as well and am still unable to open.  I purchased TurboTax Deluxe 2018 and am tryin to open my .tax2018 file with both states downloaded that I needed and am still getting that message.  I was also willing to just start over and create a new return but when I hit the new button it doesn't do anything.

This is what I get after I open turbotax 2018 for the first time.  It goes through the normal update screen and then in the background (its hidden until you hover over it with the mouse).  Any thoughts on how to get at least a new one started?  I have $120 invested in this now and haven't gotten anywhere.

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 3.56.26 PM.jpg

TurboTax 2018 and macOS Catalina

You have to talk to someone at TurboTax.

TurboTax 2018 and macOS Catalina

@jaykay28 - Did you download and install the 2018 software into the Applications folder?

What you are pointing to is the .tax file.   You should move that file form your downloads folder to your desktop.   Did you install the TurboTax 2018.app in the Applications Folder, then open that and start a blank 2018 tax return and add a state in order to install the state software?   Of more than one state then that must be repeated for each state.    Only after you can create a new blank 2018 tax return and the states are there will you be able to open your xxx.tax2018 data file if it contains state information.

Here is the TurboTax FAQ for completing a 2018 return started online.

TurboTax online and e-file for 2018 ended on Oct 15, 2019. 2018 (and earlier tax years) can now only be completed using the CD/download software installed on a Mac or Windows computer. The return must be printed, signed and mailed.

2016-2018 software can be purchased here:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

See this TurboTax help article:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-...

"How do I finish a prior-year return that I started in TurboTax Online?

If you started your 2016, 2017, or 2018 return in TurboTax Online but weren't able to file it before the shutdown, you can finish and paper-file it in the TurboTax download software for PC or Mac.

Start by purchasing and downloading the software and install it on your computer. If you're also filing a state, be sure to download and install the corresponding state program (PC instructions | Mac instructions).

1. Now sign in at TurboTax.com using the same login you used to prepare your prior-year return.
If you don't remember it, try account recovery. Still no luck? Then just start over in the TurboTax software you downloaded and skip the rest of these instructions.

2. Under Your tax returns & documents, select Download .tax file (not the PDF) for the prior year you want and save it to your computer.

3. Back in the CD/download software, select Find a Tax File, and then browse to the tax data file you downloaded in the previous step.

4. Select the file and click Open.

5 . You can now finish up in the software. Your return will need to be paper-filed, as e-filing prior years is no longer available."

TurboTax 2018 and macOS Catalina

On my iMac when I downloaded TurboTax2019 a +.dmg file" appeared in my "downloads" file. I double-clicked it and it gave me a pictorial file where I gently moved the resultant Turbo program from the box on the left to the box on the right which said "Applications." Then I discarded that file and looked in my true Applications folder and therein appeared TurboTax Premier 2019.app. Upon double clicking it I got the Apple message. Had to go to System Preferences and General and then permit my system to use the TurboTax program. That's it. I've never done anything fancy like doing your taxes after they were due. Good luck doing 2018 stuff!