turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax will not let me change a return

I have new information after reviewing my tax return.  I am unable to make changes to my return even though I have not filed
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

How did the program prevent you from editing it?  What information do you need to edit?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is a software glitch- it believes I have filed my taxes - I spent an hour already with customer support to no avail.  I can not access my return at all to do anything - the only thing I can do is print or file an amended return.  I had finishedmy taxes, I had printed them - then I got a new piece of information and went to go back and edit and it is stuck.  Again, not a tax issue a software issue. 

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Since your return has been filed you  will need to file an amended return to present that new piece of information.

First, make sure you really need to amend and that your 2020 return was accepted in TurboTax Online or paper-filed through the mail. You can't amend a return that hasn't been filed yet.

When you're ready to amend, find your situation below and follow the instructions.

TurboTax Online

TurboTax CD/Download

My return has NOT been filed.  I printed it I did not file it .  turbo tax thinks I filed it I did not.  That is the crux of the entire problem

You click on "Add a State" (or is it Add another state? ) below the Fed and State displays on the near-left side,  and that doesn't get you back into your file???

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
JulieC14
Expert Alumni

This Help Article link contains the steps that SteamTrain is referencing above:  I want to change a return I've printed, but haven't mailed

OMG who the F)(*k would think to click add a state - thank you I can circuitously get back in- I have not tried to edit the information but will try tomorrow- looks like it will work by searching on the thing I need to change which is to add a 1099. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies