Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: turbo tax will not accept by bank account number and routing number. same as last year. tried a new. turbo also claims numbers don't match.

Have you tried clearing your cache and refreshing to see if this helps? If you need assistance doing so click here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Tax Year Prior to 2020: turbo tax will not accept by bank account number and routing number. same as last year. tried a new. turbo also claims numbers don't match.

@deslhog wrote:

I have used this auto deposit information for the last several years. Verified it is the same as on my checks. Must be a software bug. 

A routing number is 9 digits long and starts with a 0, 1, 2, or 3.  You need to verify it with the bank customer service or inside your Online Banking website--not the checks.   While a bank may commonly use the same routing number as on a check for ACH deposits, that's not always the case for a few banks--mainly larger banks which divide the state into regions.

In a few states, a few large banks (such as Bank of America in Texas, Florida, Missouri, etc.) can have different routing numbers in different parts of the state, and in those less common circumstances the routing number for ACH electronic deposit may not be the same as the routing number shown on a paper check.    Phone your bank customer service and ask for the electronic ACH direct-deposit routing number for your account, or check its website for the correct routing number that pairs with your account.   Their website may have a FAQ about their routing numbers.  Or if you have online banking, if you log into your bank account, it might tell you the routing number for your particular account there. 

Also be sure you are not entering an extra blank character after the account number. i.e., after you enter the last digit, do not press the space bar.

ET Magie

I had the same problem.

I think it's a bug. After several tries I gave up and switched to refund by check.

But then for the state taxes I used the exact same routing and account numbers and it was fine. 

Frustrating problem solved!

I tried using the same acct/routing numbers as last year and was getting the incorrect number for both.

Using Chase bank website, I opened the listing showing account and routing number. At the bottom of the window it says this:

This routing number can only be used for direct deposits and ACH transactions. For wire transfers, please use routing number xxxxxx.

I put in the wire transfer routing number given for Chase bank and that solved the issue in turbotax. 

There has to be a bug. I have used this same router and account number for years. I have checked the numbers on both the bank app and on the checks.  What is happening?

I wont be able to print out and submit, NYS does not allow that.

Use the Chrome browser and clear browsing data for all time before signing into TurboTax.  Some banks are adding four zeroes to the front of their routing number.  If your routing number starts with four zeroes, do not enter the zeroes.  

I'm using the program, not the browser.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

That usually means the return is not yet ready to be filed.

Click on the REVIEW tab to see if there is something that needs to be reviewed.

Thanks for trying, but everything is ok, checked and correct. The program is saying the router number doesn't match last year's number but I have checked last year's taxes, a check, and the bank app. I have tried it in many times. It's not accepting it. I just gave up and checked the send me a check option. Ridiculously frustrating.

I am currently having the same problem. I have been using turbotax to file my taxes for the past 6 years with the same bank account info and it worked every time except for this year! please help??!! I have cleared the cache and cookies and plugged the numbers in while reading them from my own checking book and still the numbers aren't being accepted. please help!!

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Double-check to make sure you haven't transposed the routing number with the account number.  If the wrong routing number is entered, that causes a rejection because those are all registered.  The account will only get rejected if the two entries don't match.  Also, make sure you are using the routing number from your check and not a deposit slip.  Many times, the deposit slip doesn't have the correct routing number for an ACH-style transaction.

I'm done trying. I've submitted it with a request for the irs to send a check. The numbers were fine. I checked many times, counted that there were the correct number of digits, checked reading the numbers backward, right to left, took the numbers off the check, took the same numbers from the bank app. I did all the things. The numbers worked fine for the NYS forms.

It may be moot now, but did you speak to your bank to get their thoughts?   A few large banks in some states (such as Bank of America in Texas, Florida, Missouri, etc.), may use different routing numbers for electronic ACH deposits in some parts of that state than what is shown on a printed check, since they divide the state up into regions for ACH purposes.

E-Filing was broken last year and it is broken again this year.

I've used this program for a very long time but their quality control is awful.
And, what's the deal that EVERY TIME  you run the program you have to download the program again.

I'm looking for an alternative next year...So long!

Me too. I've been using turbo tax so long that I found a tax return saved/backed up on a 3.5 inch disk! Between this issue and that buying a state costs basically the same as a new turbo tax, I won't be going back. My daughter's home state is home, she goes to college, works her works study there, and interned last summer in a third state. I bought two extra states for her. Ridiculous amount of money for a person who makes so little.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies