turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax wants to know recepient state from Edwards Jones 1099div schedule b. I dont have schedule b.

1099 div recepient state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Turbo Tax wants to know recepient state from Edwards Jones 1099div schedule b. I dont have schedule b.

Schedule B (Form 1040) Interest and Ordinary Dividends is automatically generated by TurboTax when you enter certain income. The schedule may also be added when you import 1099-DIV.  

• You may not have entered all the required information in TurboTax. Go back and review what you entered in the 1099-DIV section. 
  • Enter your resident state if you don't know the source of the dividends.

Per IRS: Use Schedule B (Form 1040) if any of the following applies:

• You had over $1,500 of taxable interest or ordinary dividends.
  • You received interest from a seller-financed mortgage and the buyer used the property as a personal residence.
  • You have accrued interest from a bond.
  • You are reporting original issue discount (OID) in an amount less than the amount shown on Form 1099-OID.
  • You are reducing your interest income on a bond by the amount of amortizable bond premium.
  • You are claiming the exclusion of interest from series EE or I U.S. savings bonds issued after 1989.
  • You received interest or ordinary dividends as a nominee.
  • You had a financial interest in, or signature authority over, a financial account in a foreign country or you received a distribution from, or were a grantor of, or transferor to, a foreign trust. Part III of the schedule has questions about foreign accounts and trusts.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Unless the question is referring to tax-exempt $$ showing in box 12 of the 1099-DIV....then you select "Multiple states"  from the very bottom of the dropdown list of states (or "More than one state" if using desktop software )

______
For tax exempt $$ in box 12, in some cases, you can break out just the $$ that came from your own state's bonds to reduce your state taxation somewhat, but you need to do a bunch of calculations to do that...and the "Multiple States" selection is always acceptable.

_____

IF the box 12 $$  is the issue, and you do want to break out your own state's tax-exempt dividends, post back and we can give you more details....but unless the box 12 value is pretty large, many times it's not worth the effort....though that depends on which exact bond funds you owned.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

The heading on the page in question shows a forms category which took me to the block that needed my state inserted. Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies