turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax says the amount of my stimulus is correct. In my estimation it is not correct and I don't know what to do about it. The IRS did not count one my dependents.

I was told that I should file for the Recovery Rebate Credit, but there is no place to file for the Recovery Rebate Credit in Turbo Tax.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

Turbo Tax says the amount of my stimulus is correct. In my estimation it is not correct and I don't know what to do about it. The IRS did not count one my dependents.

If you did not receive the stimulus for a dependent child under age 17, you can claim it on your 2020 tax return as the Recovery Rebate Credit.

This is how you claim the Recovery Rebate credit in TurboTax.

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
  4. Follow the interview
  5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. I have done this several times. Each time I enter the information Turbo Tax says this: "We crunched the numbers and the amount you received looks right". I disagree with Turbo Tax. I was shorted a dependent on BOTH rounds of the stimulus. 

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

If you believe that you are due a Rebate Recovery Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return for a dependent, then you should: 

• Check the amounts entered for stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2, and
  • Make sure that you have correctly entered your dependent information. 

If the credit is not being generated, the answer is in one or both of these situations. 

The TurboTax software adds together the entries that you made for receiving stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2.

Then the software computes the amount of your stimulus check amounts based upon the information that has been entered into the tax software. 

If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Rebate Recovery Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.

In TurboTax Online, you are prompted to input stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2 information under Review down the left hand side of the screen.

You can also access your stimulus check choices by following these steps:

Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.

• Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries. 

See also this TurboTax Help.

I'm having the same problem:  married filing jointly with 2 kids (4 and 1), but didn't receive stimulus for one kid on each check.  I've not found any resolution other than manually filling out a Form 1040.

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

It depends. How much stimulus money did you report all together?

As for me (married, jointly filing, 2 kids, AGI < $100k), first round was $1200 + 1200 + 500 = $2900 instead of $3400.  Second round was $600 x 3 = $1800 instead of $2400.

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

If your second child is under 17, you can claim him/her on your 2020 tax return and claim the Recovery Rebate Credit.

This is how you claim the Recovery Rebate Credit in TurboTax.

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
  4. Follow the interview
  5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.

Yes, under 17, and I presume so for the original post.

Following those steps on TurboTax Online give the same result - just as mentioned earlier in this post.

Make sure both kids are showing up as dependents.  There are a couple questions that can trip you up.  Go back to My Info and delete them, then re add them.  Was one born in 2020?

Be sure when it asks how long your child lived with you that you pick THE WHOLE YEAR (which is acceptable for newborns) and not just the number of months.  Go back and double check that.

VolvoGirl's response fixed my issue (1 year old born in 2019 wasn't registering correctly) - thank you! 

OP, I suggest you try the same.

DIYgirl

I claimed my daughter on my 2019 taxes, and made <100k in 2019, so I was supposed to get $500/$600 respectively for stimulus checks 1 and 2 for her, but only received $1200/$600 respectively for myself. She is listed on my 2019 taxes, which is what the IRS used to determine eligibility. This year, her father gets to claim her, so in trying to enter the rebate credit, I don't get to claim her on my 2020 taxes. It's telling me the numbers are correct for what I received, and they're not. 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

The numbers are correct.  The payments were an advance credit for 2020.  2018 or 2019 information was used in determining the payments since 2020 tax returns had not been filed at the point the stimulus payments were sent out.  They are being reconciled when you do your 2020 return.  Since she is not your dependent in 2020, you do not qualify for a stimulus payment for a dependent.

A turbo tax phone person figured this issue out for me. I had entered that my new born son was only with us 4 month of the year for 2019. Turbo tax carried this information over to 2020 when in fact he was with us all year. This fixed the issue. You might want to look at your dependents and how long they lived with you. 

You were spot on. That was the issue for me. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies