turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

craftindo2005
Returning Member

Turbo tax CD shared with 5 people. Can they see each other efile?

Based on the discussion:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/can-5-pe[product key removed]-tax-premier-and-fil....

It sounds like buying turbo tax CD, 5 people sharing, can see one another.

Is that true?

2. what is the difference between turbo tax account? when i buy a turbo tax CD, i am not aware of turbo tax account.

thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Each return is in a separate data file.  If they use the same computer they could open a retun unless you save it with a password.  

There is the Desktop CD/Download program and the Online browser version.

The Online versions are only good for one return per account.  And you may need to upgrade to a higher version to enter certain things. See the Online versions here,  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

All the Desktop versions have the same forms so you can use a lower version.  You just get more help in the higher versions.  You can see and buy the Desktop versions here,  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

And the Desktop program can do unlimited returns and efile 5 Federal for free.

You can see and enter directly into the actual forms.

There is a What-If worksheet.

Basic does not include a free state program and has some other limitations like doesn’t import from It’s Deductible.

Deluxe and above include one free state program download to prepare unlimited returns for the same state.  Then each state return is $20 to efile (goes up to $25 in March).  Or you can print and mail state for free. If you need to also file a state return for a different state it is $40 to buy an additional state program.

If you buy Deluxe in the stores it comes 2 ways, Deluxe with State and without state for states that don't have an income tax.  So watch what you buy.  It should say Federal+Efile+State.

For the CD/Desktop version, can the 5 e-files use different email addresses or do they all have to use the same email address?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Each return has a separate data file saved to the same computer and would be accessible unless it is password protected (VolvoGirl).

Each return also receives separate receipts and notifications.

Please refer to the following help article for more information.

How many returns can I e-file in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
da-boyz1
Returning Member

I purchased Turbo Tax Premier CD from a retailer.  I was able to answer each question and I paid $25 for State Tax which was taken out of my account.  The problem comes when I try to efile my taxes, it tells me I have to upgrade but upon trying to upgrade, it fails.  How can I efile my taxes without having to go online and paying another price? OR do I have to go online and start over and pay another price even though my state tax has been paid for.  Also why do I have to upgrade the Premier version?  Please respond as soon as possible.

No that's not right.  You don't have to upgrade the Desktop program.  It was probably just a recommendation or suggestion.   Do not go online!  Online is a totally separate product.  Are you sure you are still in your Desktop CD/Download program?  

da-boyz1
Returning Member

yes, I click on the CD downloaded program and it always tells me to update.  Otherwise I can't get in the program.  Please help

Update is not upgrade. The program must be updated several times during the season as new and changed forms are created by the IRS and added to the program.

NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

@da-boyz1 Are you sure it said Upgrade? Is it possible it said Update? Your TurboTax Desktop Software does need to be Updated, in order to e-file. Please see this TurboTax FAQ for more information, "There is an update available" message when attempting to ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
da-boyz1
Returning Member

I'm sorry, I meant update instead of  upgrade. I still can't get into the program to finish my taxes

da-boyz1
Returning Member

I do get the update message but it always fail when its finished.  Why is that? AND how can I get around it?

@da-boyz1 wrote:

I do get the update message but it always fail when its finished.  Why is that? AND how can I get around it?

Don't know.  You could have a bad internet connection, are you downloading the update completely then installing it from the hard drive, or trying to install it over the internet?  Did you eject the CD?  You can't update the CD copy, you must install Turbotax to your hard drive and that's the copy that gets updated.  

Your Windows Registry could be corrupt. You may need to uninstall the whole program, reinstall it, and then re-install the most recent update.  (Install your state module before running the updates.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies