turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax figured my Stimulus wrong - IRS fixed it - my amended return is using the original wrong stimulus amount

On Feb 12, the stimulus questions were "did you get both $600 payments."  I got two payments, so I said yes, not  even thinking the first stimulus was 1200 and not 600.  Turbo tax said I was entitled to more, and added $600 to my refund  - making it  $1877.  I filed on the 13th. Turbo tax has subsequently changed their questions and their calculations, and when I look at the return in Turbo Tax now, my refund shows (correctly) it would be $1277.  The IRS corrected the $600 error and refunded  $1277.   I  then got a surprise K1 and need to do an amended return - but Turbo Tax is basing the tax on the original $1877 and not the amount the IRS refunded (and which Turbo tax now shows as the tax refund due).   How do I get the amended return to calculate on the corrected Turbo Tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Turbo tax figured my Stimulus wrong - IRS fixed it - my amended return is using the original wrong stimulus amount

If TurboTax has not done it for you,

when preparing 1040-X 

you need to manually enter on line 18 that your refund was  $1,277, not $1,877

Also, you correct line 15 so that you see -$600 in Column B of line15.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

If TurboTax has not done it for you,

when preparing 1040-X 

you need to manually enter on line 18 that your refund was  $1,277, not $1,877

Also, you correct line 15 so that you see -$600 in Column B of line15.

it sounds like you started making revisions before you pressed AMEND.

Thank you for your help.  It took me a bit to find the right form to make these changes, but these got me to the amount I knew was correct - so I'm a less confused and more happy and very grateful to you.

Hey Fanfare - Really?   I will swear to my death that Turbo Tax originally assigned the $600 amount for the first stimulus , then added $600 to my return, then, after I filed, corrected their software.  Even if I am 100% wrong here and this was all my screwup -  (and I admit I should have caught that the first payment was 1200 and not 600 - I just trusted TT too much) - your contribution of, essentially, calling me the idiot I may or may not be, and offering absolutely no suggestions for solving my problem, leads me to the conclusion that perhaps you should be doing something else with your time instead of  being "helpful."

many people don't realize,

to amend you have to start TurboTax off with the return as originally filed or as adjusted already by the IRS.

Since you're smarter about that, don't take it personally.

When I did my taxes in February, the stimulus questions asked about the first $600 payment and the second 600 payment. - then said I was qualified for more and added $600 to my return.  After i got notification from IRS that my refund had been changed, I looked in TT and my refund had changed from 1877 to 1277.  Since the difference was 600, I looked at the stimulus and the questions had been changed and the first amount changed to 1200 from 600, and my refund in TT changed , without my help, to 1277.  At that point, I checked my bank statements and realized the first payment was indeed 1200. Oops, but no problem - i couldn't figure out why TT added the 600 in the first place.  But, when I tried to amend, TT was deducting the 600 that the IRS had already deducted.  I COULD NOT START WITH THE FREAKIN ORIGINAL RETURN BECAUSE A SOFTWARE UPDATE HAD CHANGED IT!

Yes, I am an ignorant amateur - that's why I came to this website.  I was hoping to find out how to fix my problem, not to get a snarky, condescending comment  that offered no solutions.    The other person who responded told me what lines to fix and I got it corrected.  If you can't help someone, don't respond to their issue.

jimfof1913
Returning Member

I had the same problem. The IRS said the reported stimulus reported on my tax forms didn't agree with their records.

@jimfof1913 

Lots of people made mistakes when they answered questions for the recovery rebate credit; either because they forgot how much they received, received a payment after filing a return, just got confused by the questions, etc, etc. etc.......The amount of the recovery rebate credit went to line 30 of your Form 1040.  The IRS cross checks all returns with an amount on line 30 and recalculates refunds if the amount on line 30 is incorrect.

If you are unsure about the amounts you have received, you can check your account:

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Truly hysterical since I pulled all the stim money I received directly from my IRS account and TT did it wrong. I was supposed to get a refund and now (after 4 months) the IRS says I owe......and for the icing on the cake....I owe INTEREST!!!!    Gee, TT used to actually know what they were doing. Guess them making money is a higher priority then accuracy. Pathetic.

jimfof1913
Returning Member

I had the same thing happen to me. A stimulus payment of $1200 resulted in me owing the IRS $762.  I contacted TT who said it was my mistake.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies