Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TT 2022 Home and Business will not import previous year's return

Buy the CD every year, you can save your file. as a tax file and a PD but open the. Taxes file to get all your information. once you have the cd you may need it in another year. I recently sold property and used the program form several years ago to resurrect those taxes and get important date. Its always to have a hard copy of this software NOTE IT IS NOT MY PROBLEM ABOUT TRANSFERRING I JUST POSTED ADVICE. PLEASE DONTSEND ME ANSWERS.

WBL626

Is this a bug that is only present in TT 2022 Home and Business?  I have been a TT user for decades, most of those years as a Deluxe version user.  I have never had any issues with TT recognizing the existence of my prior year file and loading the data up when starting the next year's return.

2022 is my first year using the Home and Business version.  I have my .tax2021 file saved on the same laptop where 2022 Home and Business in loaded.  However, 2022 Home and Business is not recognizing the existence of that 2021 Deluxe file.  If I purchased the 2022 Deluxe version, would I have the same problem?

I have Home & Business and it transferred from 2021 no problem.  The version doesn't matter.  There's probably something wrong with your 2021 file.

Here's an idea.  Do you still have 2021 installed?  Try opening 2021 program and see if you can get your 2021 return to show up in it.  Go to FILE - OPEN.  Then save it again with a name and place you can find.  Go to File - Save As.

I am having a similar problem with TT 2022 Deluxe and also Premier (I upgraded).

Both TT versions are NOT able to transfer data from the previous year. And I have both *.tax2021 and PDF files available.

Also this year, both versions of TT2022 appear to save my tax files normally, but are then UNABLE to open those same files to continue working.

Even if I successfully complete my return in one long session, I have no assurance that I will be able to file if TT cannot read its own files.

TT 2022 Deluxe and Premier on Windows 10 PC

Very frustrating after many years of using TT.

prufer

I had the same problem, but I used the "Tax Return 21.tax2021" file as input (not the pdf), the transfer was deemed successful, but then when it tried to "verify the information is still correct", all fields were empty. Pretty confidence building when such trivial functionally does not even work!

@prufer wrote:

I had the same problem, but I used the "Tax Return 21.tax2021" file as input (not the pdf), the transfer was deemed successful, but then when it tried to "verify the information is still correct", all fields were empty. Pretty confidence building when such trivial functionally does not even work!

That file does not look like a tax file for an individual's tax return.

The normal tax data file from 2021 would have the last name and first initial of the taxpayer.  For example -

2021 Smith J Form 1040 Individual Tax Return.tax 2021

Make sure you save the file to your hard drive and not the cloud or a removable storage device ... the program cannot access the working files if they are not available on the hard drive. 

Having the same problem with the same version.  Long time user of Turbotax; first time TT could not find last years return.  My son uses my program to do his taxes; his previous is available.  When I search for a .tax2021 file all I find is his returns.  At a loss?

Is his name the same or similar to yours then it might overwrite your return.  You have to save each return with different names so you can tell them apart.  Like if your name is John and your son is also named John or even just the same initial,  it will save them with the same name so the second one will overwrite the first return.  Go to File-SaveAs and give it a unique name.

Here's an idea.  Do you still have 2021 installed?  Try opening 2021 program and see if you can get your 2021 return to show up in it.  Go to FILE - OPEN.  Then save it again with a name and place you can find.  Go to File - Save As.

IT IS NOW Mar 14 AND I HAVE SAME ISSUE WIITH TT PREMIER 2022. WILL NOT IMPORT 2021 INFORMATION TO 2022.

HAVE YOU ANY ANSWERS? WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR HELP. THANKS

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

It would be best to click here to speak with us by phone, so we can take a look into this. @musiuloco 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks> I did reply that I finally able to transfer data after many attempts. I cannot exactly the step I took to successfully transfer. Will record your phone number should I need further help.

Thanks

gmski
Returning Member

I am having the exact same problem with Turbo Tax Premier.  I've also used TT for nearly 20 years, and each year the new program imports date from the previous year.  However, TT 2022 is not finding any files for 2021, and when I open TT 2021, expecting to see last year's file, there is NOTHING.  I know for certain that I saved my files in PDF, but I can't even find those on my PC.  Is TT 2022 wiping out all previous versions and files when it is installed?

@gmski Which operating system are you using, Windows or Mac?

By default, any saved tax data files and saved PDF's are stored in the TurboTax folder in your Documents directory.  What files are in the TurboTax folder?

gmski
Returning Member

Using Windows 10.  And the only files in my "Turbo Tax" file are 2019 and older now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies