turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jfoxxy36

Trying to file my taxes

I’m having trouble trying to file my 2017 & 2018 taxes. I keep getting rejected when I did my 2016 that went through just fine, what am I doing wrong? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Trying to file my taxes

Hopefully you use the downloaded 2017 program to complete the 2017 return and if you did the 2017 return must be mailed in.

Trying to file my taxes

And since you did not file the 2017 return timely then you will use a zero for the AGI in the file tab see you can e-file the 2018 return.

Trying to file my taxes

Oh no---did you use the current online program to prepare and e-file 2016?  The online program is ONLY for 2018.  If you used it for 2016 income and e-filed it and it was accepted, you have made a really big mistake.  You filed 2016 as if it was 2018 income.  That means after the IRS processes that return, you will have to amend it and use the 1040X to enter your 2018 income.

As for 2016 and 2017, you should have used the downloaded desktop software for those tax years.  Each year has its own software written for the tax laws in effect for the specific year.

To file a return for a prior tax year

If you need to prepare a return for 2015, 2016, or 2017 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Note:  The desktop software you need to prepare the prior year return must be installed/downloaded to a full PC or Mac.  It cannot be used on a mobile device.

Please post back to this thread and tell us what you did  so we can advise further if we have misunderstood what you did.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Trying to file my taxes

Good catch!  Yes when did you file (efile?) 2016?  

It is too late to efile 2017 now.  You have to use the Desktop program and print and mail 2017.

Then for 2018 you can try to efile by using 0 as the 2017 AGI since you didn't file 2017 on time.  That's assuming you didn't file 2016 now using the 2018 online version as xmasbaby answered.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies