turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

transferring 2018 taxes into 2019, but can't find it,i have home and business.

transferring 2018 taxes into 2019, but can't find it, i have home and business.  are the tax files saved any where else that you and can get me access for them.

thank you,,,    Reuben   [email address removed]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Do you have the .tax2018 file?  When you start a brand new 2019 return it doesn't find it to transfer?  It should let you browse to where it is.

Here's an idea.  Do you still have 2018 installed?  Try opening 2018 program and see if you can get your 2018 return to show up in it.  Go to FILE - OPEN.  Then save it again with a name and place you can find.  Go to File - Save As.

I was not able to find my 2018 files, I was wondering if TurboTax keeps the files in the cloud somewhere and you could retrieve it for me.

Thank you Reuben         [email address removed]

@ReubenOlson wrote:

I was not able to find my 2018 files, I was wondering if TurboTax keeps the files in the cloud somewhere and you could retrieve it for me.

Thank you Reuben Olson         [email address removed]

You have to sign onto your 2018 online account using the exact same user ID you used to create the online account.

Close all TurboTax windows on your web browser (including this one).  Copy and paste the account recovery website link onto a new web browser window and run the tool.

Use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of all the user ID's for an email address.  Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If none of the user ID's received will access your 2018 account, then use the option shown in blue on the account recovery website, "Try something else"

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

Just a comment, when I came back to my original post, it showed that it was solved,,   I just wanted you to know it is not solved yet so I still need your help.

Sorry no.  Not if you used the Desktop CD/Download program.  Not even if you efiled it.  It is only saved on your computer and any backups you make.  You searched your whole computer and recycle bin for all files ending in .tax or .tax2018?  It should be in your Documents then in a TurboTax folder.  If you don't have the actual file there should be a temporary file starting with a Tilde ~ sign in case your file gets lost or corrupted.  Like ~your name 2018.tax2018

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies