Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

sunflower94
Returning Member

To protect you from identity theft, your tax return is currently being reviewed. To help us process your return more quickly, verify your identity and tax return inform

any update? i got the same alert.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

To protect you from identity theft, your tax return is currently being reviewed. To help us process your return more quickly, verify your identity and tax return inform

We are committed to keeping your information secure. Here is information to help you follow up on protection of your identity.  

@sunflower94

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi any updates ? I got the same message 

Hi any updates 

Same here.  I was able to set use the I.d but message still there.  Any updates ?

My status hasn't changed. I tried to login to I'd me but it didn't change the need to verify. So far no letter. 

Thanks for the update , hopefully this gets resolved soon.  

First, I received a text saying that my taxes were accepted late January and it still says that on Turbo Tax.  Last week, I checked Where’s my Refund and the IRS said I needed to verify my identity by entering a code from a letter I never received. Yesterday, I had a message saying my return has been received and it takes 21 days…  Today, I checked again and it is now saying that they are sorry but processing is taking longer than usual keep checking back.  I filed early - I think that’s the issue.  Just a theory but the fact that status messages are changing daily AND are changing on weekend days tells me the system is messed up.  I am supposed to get my refund on the 13th but I don’t see that happening.  

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

The fact that your status messages are changing is perfectly normal.  Your Efile may be 'Accepted', but then the IRS shows your refund as 'being verified' or 'in process' or 'pending'.

As long as the status is changing, that's a good sign that your return/refund process are moving along. 

Here's more info about Refund Processing

@Kjex1970 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did yours get resolved? Got this notice and trying to figure out if anyone has figured this out and gotten their refund.

I take it still no refund?

I had to make an appt to get verified in person, no one really seems to know what is going on. I still do not have any movement on my transcripts, although I only got verified this morning. I believe this is effecting a lot of people from what I am seeing on other boards. 

Update I finally got ahold of someone at irs that told me no one with this notice will be verified until we receive our letter which they won’t be sending out till starting on February 20th 

There's a little nuance to that after speaking with 2 reps this morning.

1) This "notice" will get likely dropped for a large portion of people. There's an automated review that takes place. If something is found that suggests a potential identity theft issue, a human then reviews it. That initial 'flagging' is pushing out notifications like this one to taxpayers (according to the rep I spoke to, this is new to the Where's My Refund page and is causing lots of confusion. Additionally, this part of the process isn't new and isn't a glitch - it's just the fact the IRS is letting the taxpayer know it's in review that is causing confusion).

2) If the human determines that there's really no issue, the return is processed normally. If they determine that something isn't right - that drives the letter. But sadly, there's no way to tell if you're one of those people until after your 21 day period and you get a letter.

I talked to a IRS agent a few mins ago. She said that this process isn't necessarily new - but its a new "feature" on the website to update taxpayers. She says most of her calls the last 2-3 weeks have been this very thing.
She says the initial review is an automated one. If anything looks different from previous years (or "off") then its flagged. A human then reviews the return. If that human determines something looks strange, they release the letter to the taxpayer. If not, it's processed normally.

Again, that process is done every year, but it's not normally shown the way it is being shown to us this year (which is causing all sorts of confusion). It's not an error, per se.

She told me just to check regularly, but to allow for your 21 day period. Also, check your profile on IRS website to see if any letters have been sent (those wouldn't show until your 21 day period is up).
Daintyme

You can’t verify with the tool unless you receive the letter. I received the same message and after re-reading it states that you can’t verify with the tool unless you receive the letter. I am just as confused. Tried to verify myself over phone with irs but they said they won’t be able to see anything until atleast 21 days after I filed

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies