Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

adominiq

Can my parent claim me as a dependent at 26 years old?

I was a full time student and my parents were paying for my tuition and housing.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies

If your gross income was less than $4050, you do not file a joint return (if married) and they provided more than half of your return they can claim you as a dependent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hughy10

same questions, but what if the 27 year old had investment income of $1,451
Hal_Al
Level 15

Investment income is part of the $4050 limit.  So, if the $1451 is his only income, he can still be his parent's dependent if he does not file a joint return (if married) and they provided more than half of his support.

Don't confuse the dependent support test ($4050) with the dependent filing requirement. A dependent must file a tax return if he has more than $1050 of investment income; but he can still be a dependent, because his income is less than $4050.

If your gross income was less than $4050, you do not file a joint return (if married) and they provided more than half of your return they can claim you as a dependent.

Hal_Al
Level 15

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, a relationship test and a residence test. Only a QC qualifies the taxpayer for the Earned Income Credit.

A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if he is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled.

After age 23, the income test kicks in. 

The 6 tests for claiming a qualifying relative dependent:

1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year

2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4,050 (2016)

3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support

In either case:

4. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico

5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own

6. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

crtmoney
Returning Member

Can I claim my child if she is 26, was in school for at least half time, lived with me all year, and made less than the $4050 last year?

@crtmoney wrote:

Can I claim my child if she is 26, was in school for at least half time, lived with me all year, and made less than the $4050 last year?

You should be able to claim her as your dependent under the Qualifying Relative rules if she meets all the requirements.

To be a Qualifying Relative -

1. The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer. A child is not the qualifying child of any other taxpayer if the child's parent (or any other person for whom the child is defined as a qualifying child) is not required to file an income tax return or files an income tax return only to get a refund on income tax withheld.
2. The person either (a) must be related to you or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household.
3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,200 (social security does not count) in 2019
4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.
5. The person must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S., Canada, or Mexico resident for some part of the year.
6. The person must not file a joint return with their spouse.

crtmoney
Returning Member

Thank you! Why would I claim her as a qualifying relative instead of a qualifying child?

@crtmoney wrote:

Thank you! Why would I claim her as a qualifying relative instead of a qualifying child?

To be a Qualifying Child the dependent must either be under the age of 19 or under the age of 24 and a full time student.  If not a Qualifying Child then they can only be a dependent under the Qualifying Relative rules.

crtmoney
Returning Member

Ok, thank you. Now on her taxes, would she put she can be claimed as a dependent or a qualifying relative? Just making sure.

@crtmoney wrote:

Ok, thank you. Now on her taxes, would she put she can be claimed as a dependent or a qualifying relative? Just making sure.

She would indicate on her tax return that she can be claimed as a dependent.

crtmoney
Returning Member

I appreciate your help & quick responses. Have a wonderful day!

same question here, Can my parents claim me as a dependent? I'm 26 years old but im a full time student and have 2019 income is 4650

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

No, your parents cannot claim you as a dependent.  You aren't a "qualifying child" because you are over age 24, and you aren't a "qualifying relative" because your gross income is more than $4,200.

See this link to Table 5 in IRS Publication 501 for more details.

@quynhtrang123

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies