Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can my parent claim me as a dependent at 26 years old?

Im 26 in 2019 i made 17k AGI can i be claimed as a dependent i live with my parents i pay them rent. If they have filed and said they can claim me as a dependent i had to say yes that i was claimed. Will it effect my stimulus check if i dont qualify?

No.  You are to old and made too much.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

No they can not claim you.  You are over 23 and made more than $4,200.  You do not say you were claimed.  But you will have to mailed your return if they have filed.  

Will it effect my parent if he already claimed me and got his return? Should i just put that i cant be claimed? Will he get in trouble? I think he got like $500 for claiming me.

You or somebody need to tell him to amend and pay back anything he received by improperly claiming you.

You would be filing a false tax return if you said that you can be claimed and you cannot.   In any event, the IRS is not stupid,  when  they match your SSN on the tax return you filed with the deductions he claimed, red flags will go up and you can both be audited.   That usually takes a year or two after filing and by then the interest and penalties for back tax keep growing.   He can pay back what he improperly claimed now or wait for a huge bill from the IRS in a year or two.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies