turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Pricing of on-line versus disc version at Costco

I paid about $100 for the online version...and I later saw at Costco the federal and state version for about $65.  Sounds Iike I should have gone the Costco route instead of on-line this year?  Does on-line give me any advantages?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The version at Costco is the CD/Download version of TurboTax and is a bit different in functionality and pricing (though TurboTax doesn't control retailer pricing at stores like Costco).  The main pricing difference is that version includes a state preparation, but it does not include a state e-file.  You have to pay an additional charge to e-file your state (except in NY), but you can paper file your state for free.

Briefly, the main differences are the online program gives you the flexibility to work online, so you can access your returns through multiple formats (online, mobile device, tablet) and your work will be stored online.  The desktop program is local only, which means you must install the program and you can only work on that computer.  Your returns are also only stored on your computer, so you would be responsible for making sure you keep backup copies etc.  The advantage the desktop program has is, since you have already paid up front, it includes a Forms Mode - where you can view the forms behind your tax return as you are preparing it.  The desktop version also allows you to do multiple returns (up to 5 federal e-files) using one program.

Overall, the desktop program has more functionality, but the online program has more convenience.  If you only have one return to do, the pricing generally works out to be similar in the end (unless you don't mind paper filing your state).  But, if you have multiple returns to do (i.e parent doing returns for children), then the desktop can be more price advantageous.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

The version at Costco is the CD/Download version of TurboTax and is a bit different in functionality and pricing (though TurboTax doesn't control retailer pricing at stores like Costco).  The main pricing difference is that version includes a state preparation, but it does not include a state e-file.  You have to pay an additional charge to e-file your state (except in NY), but you can paper file your state for free.

Briefly, the main differences are the online program gives you the flexibility to work online, so you can access your returns through multiple formats (online, mobile device, tablet) and your work will be stored online.  The desktop program is local only, which means you must install the program and you can only work on that computer.  Your returns are also only stored on your computer, so you would be responsible for making sure you keep backup copies etc.  The advantage the desktop program has is, since you have already paid up front, it includes a Forms Mode - where you can view the forms behind your tax return as you are preparing it.  The desktop version also allows you to do multiple returns (up to 5 federal e-files) using one program.

Overall, the desktop program has more functionality, but the online program has more convenience.  If you only have one return to do, the pricing generally works out to be similar in the end (unless you don't mind paper filing your state).  But, if you have multiple returns to do (i.e parent doing returns for children), then the desktop can be more price advantageous.

I was looking for the differences to know whether I chose the correct product or not?
BeatsTT

The Premier version at Costco costs $69 and says it includes Live Phone Support. It also says that it costs $19.99 for e-file State returns.

If this is true, you get e-filing for Federal, State, and Live support for $90.

This costs $220 online -- $170 for Premier online with phone support and $50 per State.

Sounds like a great deal!! Plus, you can do FIVE (5) Federal returns for no additional charge, and $19.99 for each State return. Where's the catch? What am I missing?

What if I need to do current year and 3 years prior returns all self employed or home and business? Can I just buy Cisco desktop to do 3 priors instead of online 119$ each year ?

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, no you can't. The TurboTax software is divided up on a yearly basis.

So if you are going to do three years past and this year, you will need to buy the desktop versions for the past three years and either the desktop version or the Online version for 2019. The Online version only supports the current year. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@jenandnorah  Sorry you need to buy each year separately.  You can only use the Online version for 2019.

You can't do a prior year return online or efile it, but you can buy either the cd or download the desktop versions for the last 3 years from Turbo Tax here....

http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products.jsp

Or you can check for  Turbo Tax for all years on Ebay or Amazon, etc.  And when you buy the Desktop program you can buy a lower version.  All the Desktop programs have the same forms. You just get more help and guidance in the higher versions. 

Either way you will have to mail in your return.  And if you are doing more than 1 year, send each year in a separate envelope. Sometimes the IRS will just staple all the sheets together and miss a second return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies