turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The program tells me my employer took too much SS tax. But, when I calculate based on the TurboTax equation, it looks correct. What should I do?

Equations says to multiply amount in box 3 by 0.062. When I do that, I come up with the same number that is on my W-2. So why is TT telling me my employer withheld too much? I don't know how to sort this out and I can't file until I do.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

The program tells me my employer took too much SS tax. But, when I calculate based on the TurboTax equation, it looks correct. What should I do?

is box 3 more than $137700 or box 3 plus box 7 more than that? that's the maximum wages and tips for social security in 2020.  if either is true your employer taxed too much. in that case, you need your employer to correct the w-2.

You checked the W-2 but did you also review what was entered in the program on the W-2 entry screen  ... it could be a data entry error involving a comma or decimal point or an import error.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies