turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fitjar

I have a ".tax2018" file. How do I open it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

76 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The only way to open a .tax2018 file is with the TurboTax CD/Download software for 2018. In addition, if the .tax2018 file contains a state tax return, you have to install the state software before you can open the file.

Can I download the software online?

Here is where to buy and download TurboTax 2018 software: https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

If you have a .tax 2018 tax return, how did you get it? Did someone else do your tax return for you? If you also have a pdf file of your 2018 tax return, you don't need the TurboTax program to open it. 

luguvepe

I need file taxes 2018 for my file persone

nel

To @luguvepe : It is not clear what you are asking. You are posting on someone else's thread. Please start a new thread and post again with a more complete question.

How do I download the required CD for getting access to my 2018 fed filing?

Assuming you used the online 2018 product to prepare your tax return, you don't need a CD to open the .tax return. Here is how to access it:

To get back into your return after printing or e-filing, please follow these steps:
1. In TurboTax Online, sign into your account.
2. Select Tax Home in the left menu.
3. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
4. Select 2018, and then select Add a State (You're not actually adding a state, this just gets you into the right menu).
5. Once you're in your return you can navigate around as usual.

dms

Trying to open our Turbotax 2018 return filed using Premier CD (using Windows 10).  when I open TurboTax it cannot find filed return.    help me locate 2018 return.  

thanks DMS

Your tax return file ends in .tax2018.  Search your computer for it.  Check the Recycle Bin or Trash.  Check in One Drive, etc.  it should be in your Documents then in the Turbo Tax folder.  Check your backups.

@dms wrote:

Trying to open our Turbotax 2018 return filed using Premier CD (using Windows 10).  when I open TurboTax it cannot find filed return.    help me locate 2018 return.  

thanks DMS

The TurboTax 2018 tax data file, which has a file extension of .tax2018, is stored by default in the Documents directory and in the TurboTax folder.  If not in the folder then do a hard drive search for the the tax data file, wild card search *.tax*.  If not found then look in the Recycle Bin if using a Windows OS.

The tax data file must be located on the hard drive of the computer where the TurboTax software is installed, not on an external or network drive.

Why do we have to pay AGAIN to get our 2018 tax return?

@rgcool1952 wrote:

Why do we have to pay AGAIN to get our 2018 tax return?

If you used and paid for one of the TurboTax online editions of either Plus, Deluxe, Premier or Self-Employed then you do not need to upgrade to Plus and pay for the upgrade.  The 2018 online tax return is available to you up through October 2020.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

I have filed some returns online and some with the CD Software. I do have the tax2018 file. When starting my 2019 return online it says it cannot find the 2018 return. can I supply the 2018 file somehow?

@jabbaworks wrote:

I have filed some returns online and some with the CD Software. I do have the tax2018 file. When starting my 2019 return online it says it cannot find the 2018 return. can I supply the 2018 file somehow?

So do you have the *.tax2018 data file on your computer, and  you want to upload it into a 2019 online return?

If so, here's how:

• If you've already started a 2019 online return, sign in and open the return (click CONTINUE).
  • Once the return is open, in the left menu column click on TAX TOOLS, then TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window choose the link "Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer."
  • The next screen will tell you that it will clear the 2019 online return in order to transfer in the 2018 data.  If that's what you want, click "Continue."
  • Keep following the prompts to point TurboTax to the location of the *.tax2018 data file on your computer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies