turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Katina S
Intuit Alumni

The IRS keeps rejecting my return. And says my last year AGI doesn’t match. But I’m looking at it. And it’s exactly what i typed in

We're glad to hear this worked for you and you were able to e-file your tax return.

@karenkos

The IRS keeps rejecting my return. And says my last year AGI doesn’t match. But I’m looking at it. And it’s exactly what i typed in

Happened to me also. All I can think of is that I received a letter in the last month or to stating that my account had a “Credit” for the same amount I paid in 2020 which means they are still working from home and not fully processing the previous years returns. They blame COVID but they certainly haven’t missed a paycheck! Anyway, if your return wasn’t processed, your 2020 AGI was never recorded. I’ll enter a Zero and resend it for the third time since the first two attempts with the correct number isn’t working. 

I keep entering the AGI from last year and it is correct.  The IRS is rejecting the return and takes me to my husbands information to fix.  I put the same AGI for him and me.  Should one of us be 0 and the other the actual amount??  Any suggestions??

Thanks

what is Pasha's solution that worked for you?

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Please review this resource for help with your AGI rejection @joey126.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@EbonyAthe info in link you provided does not fix the problem.  It's a glitch in the IRS system.  See my earlier post for the solution that worked for me and a few others here.

@joey126Here is what worked for me:

Apparently, the problem is a glitch in the app for joint filers, probably in the IRS system, that recognizes the Prior Year AGI as belonging to the tax payers but not the spouse. Here is the solution that worked in FreeTaxUSA and will probably work in TurboTax:

1. Go to the page that asks for your Prior Year AGI.
2. When asked if you filed a 2020 tax return, answer yes.
3. Even if you filed jointly in the past, click on the option that "Only the taxpayer filed a return".
4. On the Prior Year AGI or PIN page answer YES, that you have access to the primary taxpayers AGI.
5. On the Prior Year AGI page, enter the correct amount of your joint return's Prior Year AGI as if it's for the primary taxpayer only. This will make the app assume that the spouse's Prior Year AGI is 0.
6. Continue and ignore any alerts and fill out the rest of the pages until you can press the Send Tax Return button.

If you filed as married joint, enter zero for both. The IRS just hasn’t worked last years (the 2020 returns) yet so there is no AGI in their system. I entered zeros after several attempts with the correct numbers and it accepted the zero’s as a match. 

Joey, If you filed as married joint, enter zero for both. The IRS just hasn’t worked last years (the 2020 returns) yet so there is no AGI in their system. I entered zeros after several attempts with the correct numbers and it accepted the zero’s as a match. 

Ebony, this did not work...

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

If you have tried everything and nothing works, you can still file a paper return by printing out copies of your federal and state return and mailing them. We'll include File by Mail Instructions on where to send your returns and what forms, if any, you need to include.

@joey126

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
blissuhl

my problem exactly. Help!

Just type zeros in there. The IRS didn’t process the 2020 returns and I filed in March last year so the AGI you typed in won’t match. Use zero’s, it worked for me.

Thanks...By entering 0 for each of us in the AGI it went through!

..... but the state was also rejected because the Fed rejected it.  But I paid turbotax $25 for state efile!!!!!

Talk about a Catch 22

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies