turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cotya11

The IRS keeps rejecting my return. And says my last year AGI doesn’t match. But I’m looking at it. And it’s exactly what i typed in

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

86 Replies
ChristyW

The IRS keeps rejecting my return. And says my last year AGI doesn’t match. But I’m looking at it. And it’s exactly what i typed in

Here's a few more things to think about or try:

• Did you file after the October extension deadline. In that case enter 0 as your AGI.
  • Make sure you are using your originally-filed 2016 federal tax return, not an amended return if you had one.
  • Choose the 1040 variant you filed last year (below) to see which line shows your  2016 AGI.
  • Don't have a copy of last year's return? You can order a transcript from the IRS. Go to their Get Transcript site, choose Get Transcript Online, and follow the directions (if you don't already have an account, you'll need to set one up).
  • One thing's for sure – you won't find your 2016 AGI on last year's W-2 or 1099 form. More info

Note: If you get the same rejection a second time (or third, or fourth, or fifth...) and you see no mistakes on your return, select the file by mail option to paper-file your return. Sometimes, returns keep getting rejected even though there's nothing wrong with them (data mismatches, dependents already claimed, and so forth).

In these cases, we recommend paper-filing by mail rather than wasting additional time trying to "fix" something that is beyond your control.

Why is irs rejecting my agi and its the correct one?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

IRS rejects your return if the AGI you entered does not match their records.

Your 2018 AGI is reported on form 1040 Line 7. If you can't locate your last year's return, you can request an online transcript or a copy by mail from the IRS transcript website .

If the IRS keeps rejecting your return, you can print it and mail it in.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My recommendation is to request a transcript.  I took my 2018 AGI directly from my 2018 tax return and got reject alerts.  When I went to irs.gov, to look at my AGI, it was different than on my tax return.  I had an accountant do my 2018 taxes and submit them electronically, so I have no idea how my AGI increased by over $1300.  Anyway, don't trust your tax return; trust what the IRS has in their archives.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

The IRS may have adjusted the return, although if they did, they should have notified you of that by mail .

You should ask the accountant if they were informed of the change. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The AGI on line 7 of my 1040 does not match my transcript. 

The 1040 number was rejected. 

I was never notified about any changes, but the transcript number was accepted.

As above said, use your transcript. It is free to download.

Anonymous
Not applicable

for some reason some taxpayers are having this problem even when they verify it.  did you file after 10/15 then use 0 otherwise you'll probably have to mail in youtr return 

Pjc123

I just downloaded a transcript of my 2018 tax return and it is the same as what i have been trying to submit. the problem is with my husbands AGI.  He passed away in Oct does that make a difference in the way I file the return this time? Or do I still put his name and SSN first and file married filing joint?

D Rog

My AGI was correct.  I compared it to the IRS transcript to make sure, but Turbotax kept rejecting it!!!

I finally put my AGI as 0 and it finally accepted it.  But not before spending almost an hour with a rep from Turbotax who was absolutely no help at all.

Maybe you didn't file 2018 on time so the AGI wasn't in the right IRS database to verify it.  We would have told you to try zero.  

FYI ... the IRS alone rejects the AGI ... TT has nothing to do with it ... they are only the postman delivering your return but the IRS must accept it for processing.  

Mine matches their records and I still keep getting the same rejection.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Be sure the AGI is exactly as the IRS has it on their records. Sometimes your return is changed from what you filled out in Turbo Tax after they (the IRS) have processed it. You can request a transcript or a copy of your return on the IRS Get Transcript site, in which you would not have to pay. Keep in mind you will need to create an account with the IRS, which is free to do!

I DID get the transcript from the IRS, and it is correct. Beyond frustrated that I paid to have taxes done with TT to keep everything together and to NOT have to file by mail.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies