turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mookie85

I was on long term disability last year... i have a W-2 from Cigna showing wages in box 1, no taxes taken out and the code "J" in box 12. is this non taxable or do i have to include the wages?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I was on long term disability last year... i have a W-2 from Cigna showing wages in box 1, no taxes taken out and the code "J" in box 12. is this non taxable or do i have to include the wages?

The IRS does not want a W-2 that does nothing and they do not even allow you to e-file a W-2 with nothing in box 1. 

But if there is anything in box 1 then it must be entered.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

7 Replies

In Box 12, is there an amount listed after the code J?
mookie85

Yes there is.

Any wages shown in Box 1 Are taxable; Amounts in Box 12, code J are Not taxable, 'information only' ...

The IRS does not want a W-2 that does nothing and they do not even allow you to e-file a W-2 with nothing in box 1. 

But if there is anything in box 1 then it must be entered.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
mookie85

Thank you everyone for your assistance!

MY W2 for my long term disability, thru third party, reflects income in Box 1, No J Code, Box 13 is checked third party sick pay.  SO after reading all posts I have to report this as income  Correct ?

2nd question is they only reflect 100.00 in Box 2 federal taxes.  this is on 7,600 of income.

shouldn't it reflect more taxes taken out ?

DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

Perhaps, you must report the income for federal purposes if it was received from an employer paid plan. If you paid for the plan then it should not be reported on a W-2.  Each state return has different tax rules.

@Stumblingwithtaxes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies