turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The form wont let me enter the EIN number

the form wont let me enter the EIN number
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Are you unable to type at all, or is the system just not accepting the EIN? Have you tried entering with or without the dash? Unfortunately, we cannot access your account through this public forum to see the error you are experiencing. If you can please provide more details, we will do our best to assist you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
WD-40

I am in the same situation whereby I cannot enter an EIN for Schedule C because I cannot type it in. But should not have had to enter an EIN since "no employees" was indicated.  What do I do?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

If this is on your own Schedule C, if you do not have an EIN, it will accept your social security number by default. You shouldn't need to type anything in on your Schedule C. If you can't type it in, it means it is grayed out because your Social Security number has been entered by default. 

trying to create a new 1099 misc for a property owner. I have the IRS form which provides the EIN number but the online turbotax form says there is an error with the EIN number.  It is entered but will not accept it??

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

The IRS has validation rules for EINS so if there is an error you must contact the  property owner to check the EIN. 

@steve_lohrmann

otrovez

TTax Premier 2021 Starting new return. Imported information from previous year. Beginning to answer questions in program "Walk me through everyting". Update W-2 Information. Choose Work on my W-2. Enter EIN, program processes entry and gives "Hmm, looks like we've hit a snag." Try again.

I've tried with the dash and without and my wife's EIN also. No joy. Deleted 2021 return, Turbo Tax Premier Program and redownloaded and installed. Still Same Problem. I need HELP!

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

When entering a W-2 the reference to enter the EIN is referring to the Employer's EIN listed on the W-2.  Your social security number does not need to be entered here you just mark who the W-2 is for from the list of taxpayers that shows up in the entry process.  See Enter W-2 for more information.

@otrovez

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies