Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

The error message is "The document has the wrong tax year or some other issue that prevents us from opening it. Please make sure you have the right file and try again."

Had the same issue - tried rebooting and several other suggestions - nothing worked.

I went into my iCloud documents, found my tax2021file selected it right clicked and said open with Turbo Tax 21 and it worked

The error message is "The document has the wrong tax year or some other issue that prevents us from opening it. Please make sure you have the right file and try again."

None of these workarounds have worked for me... TWICE.

A few weeks ago, created my first .tax2021 file, came back the next week and TT2021 did some updates and refused to open my file.  I started over.  This weekend, same thing happened... TT2021 did some updates and voila... can't open my 99% complete tax document.

Intuit,  STOP BREAKING THINGS WITH THE UPDATES.

How can I retain my work so far and continue where I left off?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Do you get an error message when trying to open your return or does it just not open?

@FabrizioR

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When trying to open my return.  The standard checking for updates windows all pop-up... and when they're done, I get the little square dialog box saying TT2021 couldn't open my file.

I just finished a full uninstall/re-install/re-register/re-download my state... and then tried to open my file again. Got the same error dialog box.  This has happened TWICE, after each recent set of updates.

and yes... I followed the support article on how to fully uninstall.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac/00/26050

The error message:

The document "2021 Tax Returns.tax2021" has the wrong tax year or some other issue that prevents us from opening it.  Please make sure you have the right file and try again.

[OK]

No diagnostics as to what's wrong, nada... just a big "you're screwed, start over... again".

[edit]:  still didn't like my return data file after remembering to re-download the state stuff too.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

For further assistance with this matter, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible.

@FabrizioR

RS-2021

Tried shutting down and restarting. No password protection; data on computer not cloud. Problem started after software update. Can open new file but that means starting all over again. Don't understand how a software update can corrupt an existing file to the extent that it cannot be opened yet allow a new tax file be opened. Calling [phone number removed] just doesn't connect to a human.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

We need additional information to assist you further - You are commenting on an old thread that may have outdated information.  

Are you getting the same specific error as the original poster? 

@RS-2021

cabcurtis

I took a previous hint of going to Finder, searching for the turbo tax document and clicking on it and clicking on "open with" turbo tax.  It worked, thank God.  I could not imagine having to redo my entire return all over again.

Thank you rstellon21, your solution did (finally) resolve this issue for me. 

cosmo77
Returning Member

THE SAD PART is that also I am confronting the same error message not only in 2019 but also 2018.   WHY??? WHY TURBO TAX?  you already make millions out of individual end users;  isn't about time you make this easier, and protect our data-programs - as you already charged us for using?  Serious, really!  serious...

cosmo77
Returning Member

BTW if it helps any, it is not a Mac issue.  Is also a windows issue.  On WIN 10 and WIN 11 same error.  Seems like the 2019 was created with some "sensors" (for Greedy INTUIT) to detect how many times the same license was activated or use (1) and because of those trackers, the 2019 is now giving this issue.  I tried a new 2019 unopened to see if that would solve it.  AGAIN same error.  Goes back to INTUIT.  They need to solve this mess.  Good luck let me know if you find solution. 

LPRose
Returning Member

I am working on 2021.  weeks ago I updated everything in Mac TT 2021.  I got a lot of our info in a week or so ago.  The data file named itself "unsaved........tax2021"  I don't know why TT called it "unsaved" because I HAD saved it - but, I worked on that for awhile, then renamed it or did a save as "last name.......tax2021".  worked on that another few days, ALMOST DONE.  

I took a break for a few days, tried again just now, found  the week or so old version named "unsaved....." on a backup thumb drive, it looks like it is ok up to the point where I had stopped a few weeks ago, but I  would have to redo a lot of work to get to the most recent version  from a few days ago. 

the most recent and almost complete file "lastname......" won't open, I get the same message as others posted here:  

"lastname TurboTax Document.tax2021" has the wrong tax year or some other issue that prevents us from opening it.  Please make sure you have the right file and try again."

Yes, it is the right file - at least it has the right name.  i tried again a few times but it won't open.  quit, shut down, restarted. same error message.  My most recent file won't open.  

now what?  I really don't want to go back to the weeks old version that is called "unsaved"  and redo a lot of work.  

LPRose
Returning Member

I am very frustrated. I am  about to buy a new computer with more RAM.  

LPRose
Returning Member

that didn't work.  still stuck.  

LPRose
Returning Member

right click didnt work. cloud didn't work 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies