turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rkrcsmith

Can I generate Form 8949 from turbotax 2018 deluxe federal/federal efile/state CD ? I can find the form in the list but the "Add Form" button does nothing when I click.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I generate Form 8949 from turbotax 2018 deluxe federal/federal efile/state CD ? I can find the form in the list but the "Add Form" button does nothing when I click.

as you have discovered, you can't add a new 8949 directly.

you must enter a 1099-B or sale via the interview.
 or use the worksheets( not recommended since it is tricky)

View solution in original post

9 Replies

as you have discovered, you can't add a new 8949 directly.

you must enter a 1099-B or sale via the interview.
 or use the worksheets( not recommended since it is tricky)

The add form just worked for me to access form 8949. Did you type in form 8949 after clicking on the Open Form button?

Do you have the latest program updates? Click on Online at the top of the screen and Check for updates. 

I did make sure I had all updates, but I get the same experience as posted above. The (Add Form) button is blue, but does nothing when clicked.  My challenge is the IRS person I'm working with on my amended return says I must have the 8949. I can fill it out manually, but it seems odd it isn't there based on the correct import of cap gains from my brokerage firm.  The 1099B is listed correctly, but does't show the individual long term cap gains sales which IRS is requiring.

Again ... to populate the 8949 you must enter the sales in the interview ... it is not a form you should populate yourself unless you get blank forms from the IRS ... let the program do the work for you.

If your downloaded program is updated and the 8949 is not being populated  or is not showing in the return PDF then  do a full uninstall of the program then reinstall it as it may have become corrupted.

Or maybe instead I'll just find some tax software that actually works correctly.

Certain forms are generated forms. You can't access them directly.
There's nothing unusual about that.

You can open Form 8949 for examination or printing but you can't modify it.

I already have my 8949 form filled out via bitcoin.tax software, just need to add to to my finished taxes in TurboTax, but that's not possible. So why would I pay $140 to file when I had to fill everything manually anyway?

My W2 didn't even import correctly. TurboTax providing W2 plus one other form and nothing is working correctly. Total joke this year.

Manage cookies