Can I generate Form 8949 from turbotax 2018 deluxe federal/federal efile/state CD ? I can find the form in the list but the "Add Form" button does nothing when I click.

as you have discovered, you can't add a new 8949 directly.

you must enter a 1099-B or sale via the interview.
 or use the worksheets( not recommended since it is tricky)

The add form just worked for me to access form 8949. Did you type in form 8949 after clicking on the Open Form button?

Do you have the latest program updates? Click on Online at the top of the screen and Check for updates. 

I did make sure I had all updates, but I get the same experience as posted above. The (Add Form) button is blue, but does nothing when clicked.  My challenge is the IRS person I'm working with on my amended return says I must have the 8949. I can fill it out manually, but it seems odd it isn't there based on the correct import of cap gains from my brokerage firm.  The 1099B is listed correctly, but does't show the individual long term cap gains sales which IRS is requiring.

Again ... to populate the 8949 you must enter the sales in the interview ... it is not a form you should populate yourself unless you get blank forms from the IRS ... let the program do the work for you.

If your downloaded program is updated and the 8949 is not being populated  or is not showing in the return PDF then  do a full uninstall of the program then reinstall it as it may have become corrupted.